FAQ and Instructions

HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE THE CORRECT BIRTH CERTIFICATE? Each state issues their own style of birth certificate determined by date of birth and date of issuance. The general rule is to obtain the state issued certificate from the state vital records office from the state capital, that includes the state file number signed by the state registrar. If your state has an option for long form, full form, book copy, or flat form please obtain that copy. Once your original document is reviewed, at that time we can determine if it is correct.

HOW DO I GET THE CORRECT BIRTH/DEATH CERTIFICATE? DO NOT apply on-line. Please obtain the paper application to help ensure the correct form is obtained.

WHAT IS A CDIB/MEMBERSHIP CARD? The CDIB/Membership is a card that combines the Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB), Membership, and Photo ID (if photo is submitted) into one card.

WHAT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE A CDIB/MEMBERSHIP CARD? To be issued a CDIB/Membership card, members and new applicants must be verified. This means that all correct birth and death certificates, as well as any additional required documents in an individual’s lineage back to and including the Dawes enrollee, must be on file.

WHAT IS REQUIRED TO INCLUDE A PHOTO ON A CDIB/MEMBERSHIP CARD? A copy of at least one additional form of photo identification is needed to prove identity. Accepted forms of identification are

  • current state issued driver’s license
  • state issued ID card
  • passport
  • military ID
  • employee photo ID or school issued photo ID.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO UTILIZE YOUR CDIB/MEMBERSHIP CARD AS A FORM OF IDENTIFICATION: Please submit a passport style, head and shoulders only, color photo with a solid white background. No glasses or hats. A fax or copy of a photo will not be accepted. Only photos mailed, emailed or submitted in person with the application will be accepted. If a photo is not supplied, members will be issued a CDIB/Membership card without a photo.

Please refer to this website for photo requirements: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html

CAN A MINOR CHILD RECEIVE A CDIB/MEMBERSHIP WITH PHOTO ID? Children under 14 years of age will be issued a CDIB/Membership card without a photo. Children 14 and older will be eligible to receive a CDIB/Membership card with Photo ID.

DOES THE CDIB/MEMBERSHIP CARD EXPIRE? The CDIB/Membership card does not expire. The photo included on the card will expire five years from the date of issue.

WHAT IF I LOSE MY CDIB/MEMBERSHIP CARD BEFORE IT EXPIRES? One replacement card will be issued during the five-year expiration period.

WHAT IF MY ADDRESS CHANGES? Please submit a CDIB/Membership application with updated information and a new card will be issued.

WHAT IF MY NAME CHANGES? In cases of legal name change and/or adoption, please submit a CDIB/Membership application along with court documents and the original birth certificate in the new name. If name change is due to marriage, please submit a copy of your updated ID, updated social security card, or a copy of marriage license.


(580) 634-0654