Voter Registration FAQ

Who can vote in a Tribal Election?

Anyone who meets the eligibility guidelines detailed in the Chief and Tribal Council Election Ordinance, as such:

  • Membership with the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma [per Article II of the Constitution]
  • 18 years of age or older [per Article II of the Constitution]
  • Completion of the Voter Registration Form 

When should I use the Voter Registration Form?

We have updated the Voter Registration Form, which is the approved format in the Election Ordinance, to be used for any of the following purposes:

  • 1st time registration for tribal members turning 18 years of age prior to the Tribal Election
  • Updating your voter information, including:
  • Married Name  
  • Phone Number 
  • Email Address 
  • Physical Address 
  • Mailing Address 
  • Address Release Authorization 
  • Signature 

Where do I obtain a Voter Registration Form? 

A Voter Registration Form can be obtained through a variety of ways:

  • Contacting the Voter Registration Department at (580) 924-8280 or (800) 522-6170
  • Printing from our webpage here
  • Requesting a form at any Choctaw Nation facility

Will my Council District change?

Possibly. All voters will be required to provide a physical address so that they are assigned to their correct Council District. For in depth questions, please contact the Voter Registration Department.

Voters living inside the Choctaw Nation boundaries will be assigned to the Council District in which they reside. 

Voters living outside of the Choctaw Nation boundaries may choose to affiliate with a Council District; or, they may choose to remain unaffiliated and only vote in a Chief’s Election. Once you affiliate, you must remain in the Council District you have chosen, unless you move within Choctaw Nation boundaries.

How do I submit the Voter Registration Form?

  • Deliver in person to the Voter Registration Department at Suite 1252, 1st floor, west wing, 1802 Chukka Hina Dr., Durant, OK 74701 
  • Email to [email protected]
  • Mail to the following address:

      Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
      Attn: Voter Registration
      PO Box 1210
      Durant OK 74702

What should I expect after submitting the Voter Registration Form?

The certification process will begin once forms are received in the Voter Registration Department.

You will receive a Voter Registration Certificate once we have processed your form which you may keep for your records. 

If your form is not accepted, then we will return it to you with a letter detailing further actions to take for certification to occur.

Do I have to register to vote?

  • Yes, if you are an eligible Tribal Member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and want to vote in tribal elections. 
  • No, if you choose not to vote in tribal elections. However, we highly encourage you to embrace this privilege so that you have a vote and a voice in any future tribal elections

Do I have to re-register before each Tribal Election in order to vote?

No, if all information is correct on your Voter Registration Certificate. Regardless of whether you live in or out of Choctaw Nation boundaries, a ballet for your affiliated council district and Chief election will be mailed to your current mailing address on file with Voter Registration; or, you may go to your nearest voting location.

If you have not received a Certificate or have lost your Certificate, then you may contact the Voter Registration Department

Can I cancel my Voter Registration?

Yes, please contact our department for more information or use this form

Does Voter Registration affect my current Tribal Membership card or Certificate of Indian Blood (CDIB)?

No. Please keep your current Tribal Membership card in order to receive any services or benefits that you may qualify for through other programs at the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. If there are any changes made regarding this, Tribal Members will be notified in the future.

Which Council District seats are up for the next Tribal Election?

  • For summer 2021, elections will be held for Districts 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12.

Where can I obtain a copy of the current Chief and Tribal Council Election Ordinance?

The current Ordinance available was approved by CB-124-18 on 7/14/2018; amended by CB-39-19 on 11/10/2018; amended by CB-88-19 on 3/9/2019; Approved by Bureau of Indian Affairs on 4/3/2019. It is available online by clicking here or you may contact the Voter Registration Department to request a copy.

Individual voter information is not shared with other service programs of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma for the purpose of protecting the Voter List.

Voter Registration has a dedicated team to focus on increasing voter participation and promoting election process transparency. Staff will be available year round in the office and out in the community to assist Tribal Members with questions in regards to the registration process.

If you would like to check the status of your registration, you may contact the Voter Registration Department at:

Phone: 580-924-8280 or 1-800-522-6170 Ext. 2989, 2289, 4854 or 5190

For other inquiries, please use the following links:

Email:[email protected] Webpage: