Until 1971, Choctaws were not allowed to elect their own tribal leaders. Chiefs were appointed by the President of the United States. After the ratification of the Indian Self Determination and Education Assistance Act, Choctaws were allowed to have their own tribal Constitution to govern these matters. With this came the responsibility and privilege of voting.
Our initiative is to increase voter participation and promote election process transparency. To align with our goals, we strive to maintain accurate voter records for all eligible members in preparation for Tribal Elections and maintain communication with voters through a dedicated staff. It is our intent to provide every opportunity for our Tribal Members to vote and have a voice in the Choctaw Nation.
The Choctaw Nation Voter Registration Department will continue to register and update voters through Election Day so that all Choctaws have the opportunity to vote.
In order to become a voter, a person must be 18 years of age by Election Day, an enrolled tribal member with the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, and be registered to vote using the Voter Registration Form. No enrolled member of another tribe or person who votes as a citizen or member of another tribe will be eligible to vote in Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma elections. Eligible tribal members may submit a Voter Registration Form directly to the Voter Registration Department or complete the form at any open voting location during the early voting period or Election Day.
The Voter Registration Form must be fully completed, with emphasis in the following areas:
- A physical location is provided such as a street address or 911 Address. In some cases, further information such as written directions from the nearest city/town or major highway is needed to determine physical location. A rural route (RR), highway contract (HC), or post office box (POB) is not acceptable. The physical location is used to determine district affiliation.
- The mailing address, if different than physical, is provided. This is the address where the initial ballot will be mailed.
- The signature of the voter is required.
Voter Registration Department is located at 1802 Chukka Hina, Durant, Oklahoma.
- Click here for Voter Registration Form
- Informational Community Presentations
- Request to Cancel Voter Registration