- Awarded one time only
- New and existing homes are eligible
- Must be installed at primary residences and must be installed on property owned by the applicant; for applicants who own multiple homes, only the primary residence is eligible.
- Only one person may register per physical home address.
- For a mobile home, the applicant must own both the mobile home and the land.
- Only single-family residential homeowners are eligible for their primary residence; rental homes are not eligible.
- Apartment complexes, duplexes, and other multi-family residences are not eligible.
- Community or neighborhood storm shelters are not eligible.
- Previously installed storm shelters and storm shelters in the installment process are not eligible for this program.
- Must be 45 years old or older to receive the full grant amount of $2,500.
- Aged 18-44 who meet all other requirements will receive a grant in the amount of $1,250.
- To qualify for the $4,200 grant, applicants must have a documented ambulatory disability for an above ground shelter.
- The cost for extra amenities, such as handrails, extended steps or ladders, or any decorative design will be at the homeowner's expense.
How to Apply
Apply online or submit an application via mail or email
Storm Shelter Program
PO Box G
Hugo, OK 74743
Please be aware of the type of shelter you choose. Some shelters may have an additional cost associated with them. The voucher is only valid for the amount listed. Any amount that exceeds the approved amount on the voucher will be the applicant’s responsibility.