Wallace, Essie & Fannie Crowder

A few events in the lives of Fannie Crowder & Essie Wallace Original Choctaw Roll Members Submitted by: Carlotta Earlene Bates nee Hollis

in Chickasha on her 103rd birthday.

celebrated her 103rd birthday on January 10.

cakes, one from her daughter, Mrs. Leona Owen, and another from her church, The First Assembly of God.

life to the Lord. A Christian since the age of 28, she believes that people were probably happier back years ago than most of them are now.

Territory. Her parents were Flora and Thomas Crowder and they lived for many years near Crowder Springs. She had three brothers and two sisters.

they lived on a farm near Sterling, Oklahoma for a number of years. Her husband died in March of 1935 and she moved to Chickasha, Oklahoma in

Mrs. Wallace recalls helping with much of the farm work and says she even pulled a crosscut saw.

“Patsy” Crowder nee Goins, fixing cornbread and sweetmilk for the children in tin cups that she kept washed and hanging on a tree branch. She recalls that her father could talk the Indian language as was as anyone and adds that she is part Choctaw, on her father’s side, and Cherokee on her mother’s side.

Wallace explained that back in those days they killed deer, wild turkey, squirrel, ducks and geese to stock the larder as well as raising hogs on the range.

supplies to last about a year. They made wire racks to hold the snacks of flour so the mice couldn’t get up into the supplies. They bought green coffee and did their own roasting and grinding and then she recalled that when they ran out of coffee they would grind up okra seeds and use it for a coffee substitute.

fingers because we didn’t have any sewing machines.” She added, “ We had a spinning wheel and used it to make thread, but we did buy our cloth. We usually bought a bolt of material at a time and used bolts of domestic to make sheets.”

a dirt floor as a child. She said she didn’t receive much schooling and when she did get to go she had to walk three miles to the nearest school.

heating water in a tea kettle. She also recalled using a kerosene type lamp without a globe. She said she had seen people plait strings and place them in a saucer with some lard and light them to give a little light at night.

for deer at night and using a headpiece with a light on it to spot the animals. She also told of her stepmother making soap each year. She said she made the soap with lye and ashes from the hopper and said they made 50 gallons every spring.

Church at Fifth and Colorado since moving to Chickasha in 1950 and attended regularly until she was in her 90’s. Her pastor, Harry M. Myers and his wife were visiting her on the afternoon of our interview as well as another member of her church, Mrs. Eldred Trent.

but had always given her tenth to the Lord and had always been a very faithful church member.

except three. Those surviving are Mrs. Leona Owen, Mrs. Dona Wilson, and Mrs. Ellie Lee Hollis. She has 30 grandchildren and a large number of great grandchildren.

This was given on 10 January 1975

of Fannie Crowder and Jesse Henry Wallace. She was born 19 July 1905 and was added to the Choctaw Minor Roll in 1906. She passed away 18 August 1995, not quite a month after her 90th birthday. She was born and raised south of Boswell as were her mother and siblings.

she was big enough to be of help, in fact she use to say she was her father’s boy, as her sisters were the ones that helped their mom in the house. She attended Crowder Springs School and when they moved to Sterling she attended Sunnyslope School. She quit school in the eighth grade.

the old Indians that would come by and sit on the porch and talk in the Choctaw tongue, and she would stand out of sight and listen to them. She always regretted not trying to learn the Choctaw language.

of medicine that she kept on the wood stove. They all had to take a spoon full every night to keep from getting colds. She was not sure what was in it but she thought it was butter, sugar and turpentine. When she was little she stepped on rusty nail so her mom made her sit with her foot in kerosene so she would not get lock jaw.

in March of 1924 when she was 18 years old. Of this union there were three children born. Their only son, the middle child, died at 8 months old. They farmed around Sterling until 1936, when they moved to Shamrock, Oklahoma where Rolles worked in a grocery store and Essie ran the laundry. While living there she taught all of the high school friends of my sister to dance. She always loved to dance and often told me how she taught herself and of going in the wagon when she was small to dances with her mom and dad. She said they would have a wooden platform and one of the men would do the calling and everyone would have a real good time.

Rolles died Christmas, 1964. She then returned to Lawton, Oklahoma where she lived until she died.