Moran, Marmaduke Liffie

Marmaduke Liffie Moran Submitted by: Ray Moran

Charles Moran married Elizabeth Buckholts in the late 1830’s in Texas. Elizabeth was of Choctaw Indian decent and later enrolled. Charles and Elizabeth had nine children while living in Texas. They were Henry Moran, Sarah Izard (nee Moran), Marmaduke Moran, R.T. Moran, Charles H. Moran, John B. Moran, Carrie Holt (nee Moran) and Daniel S. Moran. After the death of Charles, Elizabeth and all of her children except Henry came to the Indian Territory and settled in the Choctaw Nation near ego. She continued to live in Ego until her death in 1906. Daniel, known as Van, lived with his mother until he married Willie Melton in 1891. He farmed and worked in several businesses including a drugstore. He was also the postmaster. Daniel and Willie have seven children. Three of the children were original enrollees: Marmaduke Liffie, Emet B. and Ola. Liffie attended school at Ego and also at an Indian boarding school in Tecumseh, Indian Territory. He later attended both Southeastern and East Central Normal Schools. When the town of Coleman was established, several Ego merchants built store buildings there. Liffie and his father built a two-story, concrete block building and moved the business and post office into it. Liffie worked in his father’s business until he started attending school and later taught school. While teaching, he met and married Margie Weems in 1917. He bought a small farm near Coleman. Liffie continued to teach at Coleman and numerous rural schools in Johnston and Atoka counties, while farming part-time. Liffie and Margie had four children: Ray O. Moran, writer of this article, born in 1918; Laine, born in 1919; Pat, born in 1921 and Camelia, born in Coleman. Camelia lives in Beaumont, Texas. In 1926, Liffie quit teaching and purchased a restaurant located in his store building in Coleman. He added a line of groceries, dry goods, shoes, hardware and caskets to the business. He also established a burial association. Liffie continued to operate his business throughout the depression, World War II and postwar years. In 1961, he sold his business and retired to his farm and ranch. He died in 1972 and was buried in Tishomingo beside his wife and son Pat.