Long, Wendell McClean

Wendell McClean Long Submitted by: Wendell McClean Long, Jr.

Wendell McClean Long was born January 6, 1899 at Caddo to Leroy and Martha (Downing) Long. His father was from the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory and his mother was from North or South Carolina. Wendell had one brother, Leroy, Jr., born in 1897 and was and original enrollee, also. He attended the University of Oklahoma and Harvard Medical School. He married Janie Belle Replogle and two children were born to this union. They are Lydia Louise Long, born 12-30-1933 and Wendell Long, Jr., born 01-15-1936. He had six grandchildren: Lydia, Sharon, Wendell, Valerie, Kristen, and Erin. There are no great grandchildren at this time. Wendell McClean Long passed away December 27, 1946 at an early age, but he contributed so much to his chosen profession, family, community, friends, and his Choctaw heritage. Dr. Leroy, father of Wendell, was on the health committee of the Choctaw Nation. The medical clinic of doctors Leroy Long, Leroy Long, Jr. and Wendell Long had a total income of $30,000.00 in 1936. Enclosed is an article of Wendell Long, written by William F. Mengert of Dallas, Texas. Wendell McLean Long was born in Caddo, Oklahoma, January 6, 1899 and died in Oklahoma City, December 27. 1946. During forty-seven years of life, he achieved eminence in his chosen profession, and the respect, confidence and love of his fellow man. Devotion to duty is attested by his record of straight “A’s” through high school and college; election to Phi Beta Kappa; reception of the Letzierser Medal for the combined qualities of scholarship, leadership and service at the University of Oklahoma. He was graduated cum laude from Harvard Medical School in 1926. Evidence of the respect, confidence and love for him by his fellow man parallels this amazingly consistent exhibition of scholarship during the training years. He was class president and president of the student council at the University of Oklahoma and was twice president of his medical class at Harvard. Upon graduation, Dr. Long interned at Roosevelt Hospital in New York City, and remained there three years in surgery and gynecology, spending the lat six months as resident gynecologist under Dr. Howard C. Taylor, Sr. After a year touring the medical centers, he returned home to Oklahoma City to practice and teach gynecology. Later he resigned from the staff of the University Hospital in support of his father, Dr. Leroy Long, Dean of the Medical School when Governor Murray issued an executive order allowing a chiropractor to practice in the hospital. He was a skillful physician, an able clinician, and a master of surgical technique, achieved by careful detail of preparation and through organization of work. He possessed courage and gentleness in a combination rarely seen. Undoubtedly, personal knowledge of illness gleaned from seventeen operations for osteomyelitis during adolescence contributed to these qualities. Professional interests centered around cancer education and clinics, and as chairman of the Cancer Committee of the Oklahoma State Medical Association form 1933 to 1939, and Oklahoma State Chairman of the American Cancer Society form 1940-1945, he was able to do much in his field. The Mobile Cancer Society was largely his brainchild. Interest in general medical education is evidenced by active participation in the Oklahoma City Clinical Society. He was president of this organization during 1940, after holding in succession virtually all of the other offices. Dr. Long’s professional achievements entitled him to a permanent place in medical archives. Nevertheless, it is in the field of personal relationships that he will be remembered so long as anyone who knew him lives. Few professional men native to Oklahoma, in so short a span of life, have endeared themselves to the hearts of so large a host of people. His outstanding personal quality was deep understanding. He had a keen appreciation of the courage of people in every day living of the burdens they carried, and of the bravery of the incurably ill. Friend and patient alike felt that he was someone who truly understood. On a par with understanding was an innate courtesy, chiefly manifested by ability to inspire and kindle in the other man a feeling of worth and “being somebody”. He could no bear to allow anyone to feel small. He was a very tolerant of the shortcomings of others, yet unwilling to compromise sound principles. He was a man of high honor and integrity of whom it was said that he was never known to utter or condone and untruth. Dr. Long managed to give a great deal of time to his family, despite a busy professional and social life and the constant demand for his services as a leader and organizer. He played many games well, and was especially attentive that his children had fun at baseball, croquet, football and soccer. He also gave unstingely of his time, rare organizational ability and professional knowledge, to the point of exhaustion of none too robust physique. Hypertension was first recognized in February of 1946, and a sympathectomy performed in April. A duodenal ulcer developed in August and in October and November, he suffered from a severe upper respiratory and sinus infection. Prolonged illness made him a ready victim of pericarditis in December, with death from myocardial failure two days later. He is survived by his wife, Jamie Belle Replogle Long, and two children, Lydia Louise and Wendell McLean Long. Jr.