Elizabeth Hampton Submitted by: Melanie Shuman and Aurilla Hazelwood, granddaughters
Elizabeth was born 02-05-1862 in Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory during the Civil War. Her parents were Wilburn Hampton and Judith (Bohanon) Hampton and both were Choctaw. Wilburn’s father was Nicholas Hampton who was born in Mississippi in 1841. Nicholas was an Englishman and married Marjory Cobb. Marjory’s mother was Choctaw and her father was French. Wilburn Hampton married Judith Bohanon who was a daughter of Betsy Anderson. Betsy’s parents were John Anderson, a German, and Susan (a full blood Choctaw). Susan was an orphan and was known as Soocky. John Anderson was Elizabeth (Lizzy) Hampton’s great grandfather. Wilburn came to Indian Territory from Mississippi in 1848, locating in Wade County in the Choctaw Nation but later moved to Blue County. During the Civil War, Wilburn enlisted in the Calvary in the Confederate Army at the Old Boggy Depot, under the command of Col. Samson Folsom. He saw fighting, hard fighting in the Choctaw and Cherokee Nations, along the borders of Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas. After the Civil War, he came to Blue County and his public career began soon after that. He was Sergeant-at-arms for both branches of the Choctaw Council. He began journalistic work in the House and held this job for five years. He served in a similar position in the Senate for three years. He was elected as a Representative and chosen Speaker of the House. He was later elected to the Office of Senator and was President of the Senate. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney for the Third Judicial District for two years, then in 1886 he was elected Circuit Judge, serving until 1895. The following year, he was appointed by the Governor to serve on the Commission to investigate old claims, which he served in that capacity several months. In addition to his official business, Judge Hampton owned extensive property, which included a large ranch. The greater part was occupied by tenants. He was engaged extensively in raising good grades of horses and cattle. His home was one of the finest in Blue County.