Gallmore, Lydia Lucille

I am Lydia Lucille Gallmore Alves. I was born November 19, 1901. I am an original enrollee. My great grandparents were Forbis and Rebecca Fisher LeFlore. To these parents were born: Charles, Matilda, Rebecca, and Henrietta. Charles was at one time Chief of the Choctaws, and a United States Marshal who married Mary Angie Guy. Matilda married Dr. Thomas Jefferson Manning. Rebecca Elizabeth married G.K. Bell. Henrietta Parmelia LeFlore married John Franklin Donnelly. Their children were Rebecca, 1874; Evelyn, 1873; and Angeline, 1876, who died at Wheelock Academy, and Katy who died as an infant. My father, Elazo Walter Gallmore married Evelyn Priscilla Donnelly and to this couple were born Cecil Claire 5 years old, Zada 3 years old, Lydia Lucille 6 months old, and Erma Wanda born April 1, 1913, too late for enrollment. Forbis LeFlore was the son of Nancy Cravat LeFlore and Louis LeFlore. Forbis had three sisters: Louisa Harkins, mother of George Harkins who became Choctaw Chief in Indian Territory; Clarissa Wilson Leech; Winna McGahey Duggins, and one brother, Tobias. Nancy Cravat LeFlore’s sister, Rebecca Cravat LeFlore, was also married to Louis LeFlore. Their children were: Benjamin; Felicity Long; Sylvia Harris; Greenwood, last chief of the Choctaws East of the Mississippi; Isabelle Brashears; William; Basile - a Choctaw Chief in Indian Territory, and Jackson. My grandfather, John Franklin Donnelly, was a law enforcement officer-either Indian police or U.S. Marshal. While trying to apprehend a fugitive in extremely cold weather he died of exposure leaving a widow and three children. Angeline Donnelly went to Wheelock Academy and during the summer she died, as did many other girls with typhoid. She is buried in the cemetery near the old church. My mother then went to stay with Matilda, her mother’s sister. Later, my mother, Evelyn Priscilla and my father were married in Choctaw Nation. My mother told me Henryetta and John Franklin Donnelly were married at Limestone Gap. A big wedding was held and many guests came from all around. He was said to be well educated and had a substantial amount of money. I was born in Pontotoc County, Indian Territory on November 19, 1901. The family moved at a later date to the allotment in what is currently McClain County. We lived on the allotments for a number of years. Our old home place burned when I was still just a girl. I attended rural grade school at the Gallmore School about two miles east of our homeplace. I rode one of the horses to school each morning, tied up the reins and I sent the horse home alone. Someone either came after us in the buggy, or I walked home with some of the other children from our area. This was not only during pleasant weather, but also during the winter months. I had certain chores that I was responsible for. One was to keep a supply of wood inside for my mother to cook and heat with. One time, I remember in particular, was when I failed to do my chore, and I guess I hoped that Papa would do it since it had already gotten dark. No such luck! Papa said it was my job, and made me go out in the dark barn and gather in the wood. It was scary out there, and as a result, I never forgot my chore again. I also helped Papa with feeding the animals, and helped Mama with the garden and laundry and any other chores that seemed to be needed. One day while at the Gallmore School, a cyclone (that’s what they called them then) came and actually turned the schoolhouse around on the foundation. No one was injured, but we were all frightened half to death. I had probably a typical childhood in the same manner as had most other children of that area and those times. Mama was very good at providing good meals for her family. She always provided butter and eggs to the local grocery, to the point that the store usually owed her money rather than the other way around. She was able to supply more goods than she needed to buy from the store. I might say, the store was six or eight miles away, and it was usually a once a week trip to town for goods. Our vacations amounted, on rare occasions, to a trip to Turner falls or to Sulphur, Oklahoma. Needless to say, it was an arduous trip by wagon to take the entire family 60 miles for a few days of swimming and picnicking and camping out. It was a great treat for all of us, maybe except Mama, who still had the usual duties as a wife and mother to cook and clean up after everyone else. Mama was not in good health during those years, but she managed to get the necessary things done for her family. As I grew older, I graduated from the Gallmore School, and attended High School in Purcell. While in school there, I played basketball, which by the way was quite a chore for most of us, because of the bundlesome clothing we had to wear. We wore white long sleeved middies and bloomers made of at least five yards of heavy material, knee socks, and shoes that were not designed for the basketball court as the shoes of today are. After graduation from Purcell High School, I attended a semester at Ada Normal College. At the time, our family was making preparations to move to California, and I went with them ending my formal education. I married shortly after moving to the West Coast, and from this marriage, my son, Jack was born on November 11, 1920. I was divorced a couple of years later. I worked at various jobs that women were able to get in those days. I worked in a pancake flour packaging plant, and also worked as a milliner. It was interesting work, but I was not able to pursue it. Jack became a carrier of diphtheria, and as a result had to have his tonsils removed in order to cure him and allow him to remain in the Catholic day care center. As a single parent, and proud at that, I refused to request assistance from anyone, and tried to work all the harder to make a home for us. Pay was poor and did not provide very well for us. Those were difficult years. I remarried in 1926 to Walter J. Alves, a California Highway Patrolman. From this marriage were born three daughters: Betty June, Lucille Marie, and Myrna Evelyn. Betty was born September 10, 1927 and lived only 21 months when a neighbor backed her car out of the driveway and ran over her. She died instantly and needless to say, broke my heart. Lucille was born October 21, 1930 in Hayward, California and also was educated in Hayward, California through high school and trained to become a registered nurse at Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco, California. She joined the Navy in 1952 and was the first Navy nurse to be commissioned on television. She was first stationed in Jacksonville, Florida, then in Norman, Oklahoma, Iwakuni and Yokosuka, Japan and Corpus Christi, Texas serving a total of nine years in the U.S. Navy and attaining the rank of Lieutenant. She then married. Her daughter, Sharon Marie Brasseaux was born on February 1, 1961. Lucille then worked at Capital Hill General Hospital in Oklahoma City for a year, then at Veterans Hospital in Oklahoma City for 30 years. During the early years at V.A. Hospital, Lucille was divorced and remarried to Donald H. Hay. Her daughter, Sharon was adopted by Mr. Hay, attended school at Dibble, Oklahoma and attended College of Science and Arts in Chickasha, Oklahoma and graduated form the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma with a degree in Fine Arts, from the School of Art. She now teaches art at her Alma Mater, Dibble High School and Dibble Elementary School. She was married to Gregory Shoemaker of Chickasha, Oklahoma. Sharon is the mother of two daughters, Alissa Marie and Heather Marie Shoemaker. Myrna was born on February 14, 1936 in Livermore, California. She began school at the age of four in Livermore, moved to Haward and completed 3rd grade there. During the school year of the 4th grade, the family moved to Castro Valley, California where she graduated from the 8th grade, then back to Hayward High School until graduation. In 1954, the family moved back to the land allotted to me in Oklahoma. I was able to maintain it all these years, and we returned to farm and raise cattle. Myrna attended the University of Oklahoma, pursuing a degree in Secondary Education. She married Robert W. Duncan, from Rose, Oklahoma and they had two sons, Rex Elliott and Ross Hunter Duncan. Myrna moved to Perry, Oklahoma with her husband who was an attorney, and finished her college degree at Oklahoma State University. She taught in the Perry public schools for 27 years, then after retirement, she taught four more years at the elementary level at Christ Lutheran School in Perry, Oklahoma. Myrna’s son, Rex was born July 27, 1961. Guard during his junior year in high school at the age of 17; graduated from the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma and graduated form the Oklahoma City University School of Law. He is married to the former Janice Clayton, and is a practicing attorney in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is now a Captain in the Army Reserves, and eligible for promotion to Major. Ross was born on June 26, 1962 in Perry, Oklahoma and was educated in the Perry public schools and attended the University of Oklahoma. He was killed during an air show in Topeka, Kansas on October 14, 1989 at the age of 27. Myrna’s husband, Robert died in 1974 and she remarried Ernest Stoops of Perry in 1979. He is now a retired newspaper production superintendent. I am now 95 years old at the writing of this history of my life; I live on 30 acres of my original allotment. My husband died of a hart attack in 1988 at the age of 86, and my son, Jack, died in an automobile accident in June of 1988 at the age of 67. I have been in pretty good health until just recently, but am still able to take care of my cooking and housekeeping, and still do some gardening and enjoy watching the birds and animals that visit my yard. All in all, I have lived a good life. I have traveled much of the United States and have been to Puerto Rico. I’ve even traveled the Mississippi on the Delta Queen, a paddle wheel boat. I have marveled at all of God’s wonders of nature, and truly feel my Choctaw Indian heritage.