Where do I go to purchase a Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate?
Any Oklahoma tag agency.
What do I have to do to purchase a Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate?
- The registered Choctaw tribal member must be included as the owner or co-owner on the vehicle title.
- The registered Choctaw tribal member must present a Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma Tribal Membership Card to the tag agency at the time of registration. (CDIB’s will not be accepted.) All members have a new CN number that identifies him or her as a member and that is also required. If the tribal member does not have a Tribal Membership card that displays or contains his or her CN number, (ex: CN111111,) as the tribal identification number, please contact the Choctaw Nation Tribal/State License Department for your valid CN number BEFORE visiting the tag agent of your choice.
- Female Tribal members may be asked for a second form of ID and/or a copy of marriage/divorce certificates due to Membership Cards being printed using maiden names.
- Pay all regular fees to the tag agency that a non-tribal member would pay to register a vehicle.
How much of a reimbursement will I receive for getting the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma tribal license tag?
For a new/pre-owned, or renewals for non-commercial vehicle registrations: After paying all regular fees at the time of registration, Reimbursement configurations are:
- Excise tax fees are eligible for a 20% reimbursement;
- Lien fees are eligible for a 20% reimbursement;
- Transfer fees are eligible for a 20% reimbursement;
- New registration fees are eligible for a 20% reimbursement;
- Prior registrations fees are eligible for a 20% reimbursement;
- Renewal registration fees are eligible for a 20% reimbursement;
- Sales taxes are eligible for a 50% reimbursement of the registration.
When will I receive my reimbursement?
You can expect to receive your reimbursement within 60-90 days of the date the Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate was purchased if all information on the spreadsheet is accurate.
Why was my reimbursement mailed to an old address when I have updated my address with Choctaw Nation?
Reimbursements are mailed to the address provided by the State of Oklahoma.
Will I qualify for Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plates if only my spouse, who is a non-member, is listed on the title of the vehicle?
No. The registered Choctaw Nation tribal member’s name must be listed as the owner or co-owner on the vehicle title.
You must add the name of the registered Choctaw tribal member to the title prior to purchasing or renewing the license plate in order to qualify.
Will I qualify for Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plates if the title of the vehicle is in a trust?
Yes, but only if the first and last name of the registered tribal member is listed in the name of the trust. (Ex: John Doe Trust.) Living Trusts, Revocable Trusts, Family Trusts are not eligible for Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plates.
Can I get a Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate before my current tag is up for renewal?
Do I need to submit paperwork or receipts to receive the rebate?
No. The State of Oklahoma will submit a spreadsheet monthly to the Choctaw Nation Tribal/State Licenses Department for processing.
We do recommend that receipts are obtained and kept in case they are needed.
Why did I receive a letter stating my information is incomplete?
The Membership ID number submitted by the State of Oklahoma may have been incorrect.
Why am I receiving another letter stating my information is incomplete if I already submitted my information a few months ago when I purchased a different license plate?
In order to mail reimbursements out within 60-90 days after your purchase, we cannot cross check names on the current spreadsheet with names on a previous spreadsheet. Each spreadsheet submitted by the State of Oklahoma is very large and contains thousands of lines.
Please see other reasons listed below.
Will Choctaw Farm Tags or Commercial Tags be issued?
Not at this time.
Can I purchase a personalized Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate?
Yes, additional fees will apply. There is a five-character maximum and it cannot conflict with any existing Oklahoma plate.
Can I get a Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate if I live in another State besides Oklahoma?
Not unless you are active in the military and Oklahoma is listed as your permanent residence.
How many Choctaw Nation License Plates can I get?
There is no limit on the number of Choctaw Nation License Plates you can purchase as long as a registered Choctaw tribal member is listed as the owner or co-owner on the vehicle.
What do I do with my Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plate when I sell my vehicle?
When a vehicle registered to a Choctaw tribal member is transferred or sold to a non-tribal member, the purchaser must obtain a replacement Oklahoma license plate when transferring ownership.
When a vehicle registered to a Choctaw tribal member is transferred to another registered Choctaw tribal member, the plate may remain in place. Tribal Membership for the new owner will need to be done.
Who do I contact with questions regarding the Choctaw Nation Tribal License Plates?
Please contact the Choctaw Nation Tribal/State Licenses Department
Phone: (800) 522-6170 ext. 2921
- This program does experience a very high call volume, please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
- Email: CarTags@choctawnation.com
- Fax: (580) 920-3110
- Please include the following information:
- Your full name as it is listed on the title of the vehicle,
- Address the tag agency has on file (if applicable),
- Month in which you purchased the Choctaw Nation License Plate (if applicable),
- Reason for your call
- Contact phone number
Last Updated 11-29-18 at 3:26 p.m.