Choctaw Nation Storm Shelter Program
About the Program
- The program provides a grant for storm shelters to Choctaw Tribal Members who live in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas, which are states with a high risk of tornados.
- Applicant must be 45 years old or older to receive the full grant amount of $2,500.00.
- Applicants under the age of 45, who meet all other requirements, will receive a grant in the amount of $1,250.00.
- To qualify for the $4,200.00 grant, applicant must have a documented ambulatory disability
Please apply through the Chahta Achvffa Member Portal: https://chahtaachvffa.choctawnation.com/
Or Via the paper Application
- CDIB verification for applicant
- Verification of Choctaw Tribal Membership
- Social Security card for applicant
- Copy of filed warranty deed
- Utility bill with service address
- All required application forms completed
- No accounts in default or delinquent status owed to the Housing Authority or to the Choctaw Nation
- Home must be the applicant’s primary residence
- For above ground installations, a slab large enough for the shelter will be required, this can be in a house, garage, or a standalone slab.
- You may have a storm shelter installed in a new or existing home.
- Storm shelters are awarded one time only.
- The storm shelter must be installed at primary residences and must be installed on property owned by the applicant.
- Apartment complexes, duplexes, and other multi-family residences are not eligible for this program, as they are considered businesses.
- If you own two or more homes, you are only eligible for a storm shelter for your primary residence.
- Only one person may register per physical home address.
- Community or neighborhood storm shelters are not eligible for this program.
- If you live in a mobile home, you must own both the mobile home itself and the land it is located on to be eligible for the program.
- If you live in a rented house you are not eligible for this program. Only single-family residential homeowners are eligible for their primary residence.
- If you have already installed a storm shelter, or are having it installed now, that storm shelter is not eligible for this program.
- The cost for extra amenities, such as handrails, extended steps or ladders, or any decorative design, will be at the Homeowner’s expense. Please be aware of the type of shelter you choose. Some shelters may have an additional cost associated with them. The voucher is only valid for the amount listed. Any amount that exceeds the approved amount on the voucher will be your responsibility.
For additional information or for assistance with completing the application, please contact our office at (580) 326-7521 or (800) 235-3087 ext. 6306. Fax number (580) 326-8165