Established in 1891 by the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, the school is located on a 540 acre campus five miles northeast of Hartshorne, OK. Initially, the facility was an all boys school. In 1955, Jones Academy became a coed school after Wheelock Academy, a boarding school for girls, closed. In April of 1985, the Choctaw Nation contracted the boarding school operation from the Bureau of Indian Affairs. In 1988, Jones Academy became a tribally controlled school. The students lived on campus but attended public school in Hartshorne.
A dream became reality in 2008, when the Choctaw Nation dedicated their newly constructed elementary facility on campus. In 2012, the elementary school became a BIE (Bureau of Indian Education) elementary school under the authority of the Choctaw Nation. This state-of-the-art facility educates students in grades 1 through 6. Junior High and High school students are bussed to the Hartshorne Public School in Hartshorne. An alternative school also operates on campus. In the past, the school has enrolled students from 29 different tribes. Students come from parts of Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, South Dakota, and several other states. Each student is a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe.
The physical layout of the campus includes two dormitory buildings, each divided into elementary and secondary wings. Serving the dormitories are the cafeteria/dining facility, a gymnasium with basketball court and weight room, a library/learning center with an underground storm shelter, and a counseling center. The campus also includes a museum and agricultural buildings for the award winning swine program that students participate in.
909 Jones Academy Road
Hartshorne, OK 74547
(888) 767-2518 (Toll Free)