The Choctaw Nation is encouraging young authors to share their talents as writers and storytellers. Through a partnership with the Five Civilized Tribes Museum a story competition has been developed in conjunction with the annual Five Tribes Story Conference. The winners of the competition will be notified prior to the conference and announced with a special presentation at the event. The fictional short story must relate to the Choctaw Nation in a historical, cultural or family related way.
• Middle School/High School • College
Stories will be judged on style, content, grammar, and the originality with which the student approaches the topic. Judges will look for clear, concise writing that is entertaining, original, articulate, logically organized, and well-supported. The winning submission must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, its history and culture.
Winner in each category receives:
• $100 prize
• Cost of attendance, roundtrip travel to, 2-nights lodging during and meals during Five Tribes Story Conference Oct. 18-19 in Muskogee, Okla.
• Choice of reading or selecting someone to read their work at the Five Tribes Story Conference.
• Must be a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma residing in the United States.
• Stories are to be fiction – 1,500-2,100 words or less, double-spaced.
• E-mail submissions only – email@example.com. All stories must be emailed no later than Sept. 20, 2013.
• Must include entrant’s name at the bottom of each page.
• All submissions must be the original sole work of the entrant.
• Submissions cannot have been published previously, though it could have been a class assignment.
• Judges will award extra points for short stories using elements of the Choctaw language.
• Winners will be notified by Oct. 1, 2013.
Cover letter guidelines:
All entries must be submitted with a cover letter that includes the following:
• Student’s name
• Student’s address, email and telephone number
• Student’s grade and school
• Copy of CDIB and Tribal Membership
Announcement will be made during the Five Tribes Story Conference, Oct. 18, and through media following the conference.
For more information, please contact one of the following: Lisa Reed, Media Director, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-522-6170, ext. 2245
Tim Tingle, Choctaw author and storyteller email@example.com or 830-832-4288