Inter-Tribal Council holds first meeting of the year
The Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes held its first meeting of 2014 on Jan. 10 in Shawnee, hosted by the Seminole Nation.
Tribal leaders and members of the council passed resolutions pertaining to:
- Encouraging the Oklahoma State Legislature to enact legislation to protect Native American children and strengthen Oklahoma adoption laws.
- Endorsing Oklahoma Legislature designating the Oklahoma Native American liaison as the Secretary of Native American Affairs.
- Commending Congress for honoring 33 Native American Tribes with Congressional Gold Medals.
- Endorsing Oklahoma legislation modifying the American Indian Arts and Crafts Sales Act of 1974 to more specifically define “American Indian Tribe” and “American Indian.”
- Requesting advance appropriations for the Indian Health Service.
- Endorsing the Nunes Bill to promote the general welfare of Tribal Citizens.
- Commending Congressman Markwayne Mullin for his leadership and efforts regarding the Native American Veterans Memorial.
- Supporting the Food Distribution Programs of the Five Civilized Tribes Fiscal Year 2014 Food Distribution Program Nutrition Education Grants to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Services.