A helping hand at the holidays
The Choctaw Nation Outreach Services reached out to Choctaw families and our communities during this Holiday season:
- Distributed 3,009 Thanksgiving food vouchers
- Distributed 3,526 Christmas food vouchers
- Distributed 240 Elder Angels Christmas gifts
- Distributed 150 pairs of donated shoes to youth in the Youth Outreach Program
- Distributed 75 donated coats and hoodies to youth in the Youth Outreach Program
- Delivered 140 donated presents to the Little Chahta Angels in the Youth Outreach Program
- Home specialists assisted 43 families in making applications for the Choctaw Christmas for Needy Children
- Assisted with the Choctaw Nation heating stations/shelters during ice storms at Hugo and Antlers Community Centers: Dec. 6-11 Winter Storm 2013 the Choctaw Nation assisted with the Red Cross, Southern Baptist Relief Team and Hugo/Antlers Choctaw Community Centers (Councilmen Perry Thompson and Jack Austin.)
- A total of 918 meals served at the Antlers and Hugo warming centers which included breakfast, lunch, and dinner with 50 residents staying through Dec. 6-11.
- Volunteer shift hours were broken up into four shifts with six hours per shift each day. Two to four workers, male and female at the Choctaw Community Center Warming Shelter in Hugo and two shifts of seven hours each day per shift and one 10 hour shift for the overnight hour, with two to three workers, male and female, at the Antlers Choctaw Nation Community Warming Shelter. Choctaw Nation volunteers included staff from Outreach Services, Casino Security Officers, Housing Authority, Tribal Police, Health Services, and the Safety Department.