Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.25 cups whole wheat flour
- .33 cup Splenda
- 2.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- .25 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- .33 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 200° and place a baking sheet in oven
- Add all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Splenda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt to large bowl. Stir with whisk or wooden spoon to combine.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Set aside
- Add buttermilk, canned pumpkin, egg, canola oil and vanilla extract to medium bowl. Whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and water to dry ingredient mixture, gently stir until a batter forms. Let rest.
- Add egg whites to medium bowl. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter until no white streaks remain.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter for each 4 inch waffle into waffle iron
- Cook 4minutes or until steaming stops
- Transfer waffles to baking sheet in oven to keep warm while making the rest of the waffles.
Serving size: 2 waffles, Amount Per Serving:
Calories - 206.6, Total fat - 3.5g, Sat. Fat - 0.7g, Unsat Fat - 2.2g, Cholesterol - 25.1mg, Sodium - 369.6mg Potassium - 175.7mg, Total Carbohydrate - 37.5g, Fiber - 4.2g, Sugars - 3.3g, Protein - 8.2g, Daily Values:
Vitamin A 76%; Calcium 20.1%; Folate 10.4%; Iron 7.8%; Phosphorus 11%; Riboflavin 13.4%; Thiamin 13.3%
For more information contact Erin Adams, RDLD
Choctaw Nation Diabetes Wellness Center
800-349-7026 ext. 6950