Interviewed by Field Worker, Hazel B. Greene, June 17, 1937
In 1905 the Wise family came to Hugo, Indian Territory. They built a small house where 304 North Fifth Street is now. There were red haw thickets right up to their back door and o n either side. Houses were scattered in this part of town, but diagonally across lots, two blocks away, stood the Small home. The father of C.G. Small, former State Bank Commissioner, built the house in 1902, o ne of the first to be built in Hugo, and by far the finest in town. It was colonial type, two stories, tall columns and all, and furnished throughout with massive hand-carved solid oak and walnut furniture. Three were no trees or houses to obstruct the view from this smaller house, and o na, a young girl, (quote her, “A Missouri hill billy gal”) would sit o n her porch and admire that house and dream of some day seeing inside of it. And wonder what was inside. She knew there was a piano, because she’d sit out o n the porch in the winter till she’d nearly freeze and in summer until she’d nearly burn up, and listen to Miss Sallie Small play that piano. o na Rice married Ernest Daugherty. He died in 1917. o ne year later she married County Judge W.T. Glenn. They lived out o n his place miles west of town and in 1920 Judge Glenn bought this big white “Mansion” including some of the hand-carved furniture and took o na there to live, her dream realized. Judge Glenn came to Indian Territory, Choctaw Nation, about 1900, from North Carolina when he was about twenty-three years old, and at o nce became prominent in the affairs of his county. He was County Judge of Kiamichi and Choctaw County for fourteen years, up until his death in an automobile accident in November, 1933, which occurred between the Sawyer Bridge and the John Traylor home. Judge Glenn married Ida Miller, daughter of Dr. Miller, of Antlers and Paris, Texas, an Intermarried citizen of the Choctaw Nation. Dr. Miller was a prominent pioneer in the Choctaw Nation. He o nce had quite a plantation down o n the back lake; a big log residence, cotton gin and grist mill, etc. Later he lived in Paris, Texas, and Antlers, Indian Territory. He had a lovely home in Antlers. When he learned that Ida and W.T. Glenn were going to marry, he had them come over into the Indian Territory and marry under the Choctaw law so that Glenn would have a right to Indian lands. Ida and Glenn owned a large ranch up about Impson Valley in Pushmataha County. The entrance hall to this old fashioned home of Judge Glenn’s is larger than ordinary rooms about 20 by 20 feet. A solid walnut hand-carved hall tree with a marble topped shelf stands just inside the front door, which is glass paneled o n each side. Facing the door is a fireplace with a big hand-carved mantel over and around it. Beside that was a handsome stairway which led to the bedrooms above, and of all things for that day and time in this new town, a bathroom; a modern o ne, with the old fashioned overhead tank with a chain to pull to flush the commode. Down stairs an 18 by 20 dining room o n the west side of the half-living room, with a massive hand-carved sideboard and dining table. Old fashioned stuff, and it is still in that house. East of the hall was the “Parlor.” o na Rice-Daugherty-Glenn-Jackson lives there now with her eighteen year old daughter, with Glenn. Judge Glenn and Ida have children living near Hugo. Dr. James H. Miller, physician and surgeon, a white man, came to the Indian Territory from Tennessee and practiced medicine here among the Indians for many years. He married under the Choctaw law an Indian girl, a Roebuck. They had several children, o ne of whom was Mrs. V.T. Glenn; another is Edgar Miller of Antlers, Oklahoma; another is Ruby, the widow of W.R. “Dutch” McIntosh, of McAlester. W.T. Glenn and Ida have four children living near Hugo. Virginia Williamson is the oldest, and the others are Henry, Jack, and Margarite McComie.