Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Mississippi Choctaw

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on October 8, 2011

adhd, probably so, lol.
DAR might help you too.
findagrave also misses a lot of cemeteries. and sometimes people are not recorded if people cannot read their gravestone. many never contact the cemetery office to see if there is a map or index of graves.
ancestry does have a way of making a book of your ancestors. i think they do a four generation template. and you can put stories on your ancestors by adding a story in your media.

you might find an obituary for cynthia collinger? sources for historical newspapers are your public library, interlibrary loan program. or state archives or state historical societies. death certificate or marriage certificate, maybe state archives or state vital records. you might try to read the local newspaper for news of the family. maybe a marriage, birth, death or move?

how about the children’s birth certificates. do they list her maiden name? does their death certificate list her?

maybe a county record for estate, land record, court record.

the transcription might be difficult because it was a transcript of a court hearing. people didn’t have stenography machines. and you don’t know if martha was literate.

btw, i list two surnames on ancestry, if i am uncertain or there is a common misspelling.

rootsweb has webprojects for surnames, locations, tribes, cemetery and marriage records. and rootsweb and genealogy.com has messageboards for surnames, locations and tribes. rootsweb also has email lists for these topics too.

i use the ancestry wildcard option for searching, like cyn* or sin* and sometimes the soundex spelling.

and if i know where people should be i sometimes search by location and first name.

Delobar Delobar

Thanks again for all your suggestions, Suzanne. That’s what I’m working on right now. I couldn’t find any death records for Martha’s siblings (Cynthia’s children) online, and of course they were all born before 1900, so I guess I need to try to contact the counties where they died. I am not sure what transcription you are referring to unless you are talking about the transcript of Martha’s Dawes application interview? I have copies of both hers and Nancy’s interviews from fold3.com. I’m pretty sure that Martha was literate, she answered questions well in the interview, and there is actually a copy of a hand-written note from her in the files because the stenographer had gotten the name of her parents wrong (they put down Stiles). She wrote back with very good grammar and spelling. You had mentioned that the testimony of her witnesses may be in a book about the five tribes (or at least I thought that’s what you were referring to) – I saw a few references to books about the Five Tribes in your first post, could you give me a specific title?

yes, transcription of the dawes testimony. then i don’t know.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/oklahoma/tribes/
re: book about five civilized tribes.
http://www.archive.org/details/fivecivilizedtr00statgoog
might be online here.
google books has it also.

it doesn’t matter if all are born before 1900, so i am not sure why this is your dividing line.

you should want to narrow down WHEN and WHERE they could have passed away.
you look for them on the census.
if you don’t find them, try to find other family members that were living with them in the census after you last saw them.

then you can try to find a newspaper that serves that area and see if you can borrow films of those newspapers through interlibrary loan/your public library.

good records to try to search:
1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 census.
world war I draft card
oklahoma pioneer papers
http://digital.libraries.ou.edu/whc/pioneer/

only do one generation at a time.
if you try to do too much, it ends up like a scatter gun.
keep a research log by generation, so you know what you searched, when, and for whom. show website/source, so you know where to find it if you need to look for it again.

on the census, you can anticipate who will be on the census living together, where they are living.
this is very helpful, when you trying to find someone who has a name misspelled. you might search for other family members if you cannot find the name of your relative.

be sure you have looked up all your relatives on fold3, if you got a monthly subscription. they have other databases as well on fold3.

accessgenealogy has some of the dawes transcriptions. try to find your relative there. if you don’t see it, type the transcription and give to to accessgenealogy. rootsweb location and rootsweb tribe and rootsweb surname webprojects would be likely to want a transcription as well.
submit it as a document on ancestry.com on your family tree.

i know you are having fun doing this. you have such enthusiasm.
genealogists have to value LITTLE BITS of information.

Delobar Delobar

posted on October 8, 2011 and updated on October 8, 2011

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks again for all your help, you have given me a lot of tips and information to work with, I really appreciate it! I love the google search link you gave me! I have to admit that I have been hopping around from one generation to another, one family to another, and I had already determined that I needed to buckle down and work on one thing at a time. But its so exciting when I find a piece of information that offers me a glimpse of hope, I have to follow it. For a long time (I started seriously doing genealogy research two years before my mom passed away. I wish I had started sooner, because she had been in a nursing home for two years before I started. She had suffered a stroke that affected her mental capacities, it was as if she had alzheimers, but she could still remember my sister and I for the most part, although sometimes she thought we were her sisters. She often referred to things in the past, and had completely lost her short-term memory. So we had to put her in a nursing home. She passed away in 2009. I do still have her youngest sister to ask questions, and she gave me the information I needed to finally start finding my Browns & Stephens families. But that was just a few months ago, and I have since connected with several “lost” cousins, and it has spurred me on, to find even more. But along with the good, I have found some bad in our family, especially with my Jackson family. This is why I believe he moved his family to OK in the early 1900s. But that is another story, and not related to this. Also, I found out that “widowed” marriage statuses on censuses don’t always mean the other spouse has died……

But yes, I am having fun doing this, and I take the bad with the good, after all, they are all my family!! And with the good and the bad, I relish EVERY piece of information I find, it gives me that much more of a glimpse into my ancestor’s past!

I’ll give you a rest for awhile, lol. If I find any new information, I will let you know. Thanks again for being such a great supportive help.

Oh and the reason I mentioned 1900 is that birth certificates were not available, especially before 1900.

oklahoma, texas and arkansas were the frontier in 1900. it was the wild west in the 1800’s.
basically, a neighbor agreed to keep records for the county. if people were lucky, those records were turned over to the state later. so some records do exist, even in the wild west.

but as you go east, you will find that more places did keep birth certificates for some. they might be in the state archives.

substitutes might be city directories, county tax lists, county or state licenses, school lists, or county juries, probate mentions, historical newspapers. if your family stayed in a location for a while, maybe they were involved in a historical society. look at local history books. in the late 1800’s, many areas had a local history book that mentioned families, government officials, churches and other institutions. you can usually get these books for review through interlibrary loan. rootsweb.com also has some lookup volunteers under the books we own topic in the hosted topic list.

first talk to the historical and genealogical societies in the area, state archives about resources. you can find out if you can get something through interlibrary loan/your local public library. just because some records are not online doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

don’t forget to google names of ancestors with the name of spouse or their birthdate or a child’s name or a location.