Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Anderson,Matlock,corp

penny penny

posted on June 2, 2011

Sorry about that.my grand mothers maden name was Matlock,her mothers name was Elizabeth Anderson,my fathers name was Corp.my GM was born in ark,or ok.In 1888 0r 1899 she died in 1966 in Longview,Tex,at the time of her death she was married to C.V. Goodwin they lived in Dallas Tex,St called East Grand.My father was married to a Rosa L. Opal I,Faye,and Flora.I do not have any full blood sisters or brothers. from rosa,she had one child named Mary L. she died dont know the date but was layed to rest in Henderson,Tex.GM also married a Fred Corp.

penny penny

posted on June 2, 2011

Her death record said she was born in Ok on March 9th 1899 died in Jaunary 9th 1966 in Longview Tex.I though she was Cherokee.I dont thank any one knows,what she was.we were told one thing and then another,so we dont really know hope u can help.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 2, 2011

ok, so that these are all in one thread, this is what you wrote earlier:
I have looked for about a year,and nothing I found some things like,my grandmother was born (may be) in 1888 or 1899.her name was ALICE EDITH MATLOCK.Her mothers name was Elizebith Anderson.Fathers Name unknown.I was told she was Cherokee but my step mother died.was told she was not .Have one pic of her.she never let any one take pic of her.My fathers name is Clarence Manard Corp.If you know any thing,or if she has family left any where,E mail me cherokeeeyes 2@ yahoo.com.Penny

in genealogical inquiries, please do not use shortcuts and abbreviations. it sometimes makes it more difficult to understand. you should organize your post. start with the first generation, give dates, locations, spouse, children, and then the next generation. your post goes back and forth, jumps one generation to another and back again. it is difficult to understand. when you use pronouns, i don’t know who you are talking about. try not to make typos on names.

? matlock m. elizabeth anderson
alice edith matlock b. 9 Mar 1899 AR? TX? IT – indian territory? d. 1966 TX m. c. v. goodwin
? corp m. rosa l. opal.
i don’t know who is the parent of flora and faye.
we do genealogy on living people. i don’t know if your father is living or not, same with his spouse.

first of all, if they lived in texas, it is doubtful that they applied for enrollment to a tribe in oklahoma. they may have applied for enrollment to a texas tribe or they might be mississippi choctaw. see the links about mississippi choctaw in my earlier post, as there are links and resources there. i won’t repeat them here.

there are a few matlocks on the dawes roll but none with these names. the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906 and included the names of applicants to the five major tribes in oklahoma/indian territory. oklahoma became a state in 1907. i think there was a cherokee tribe in texas. this is just a recollection. but look at the information in my earlier post on texas tribes.

it think the basic confusion is that tribes were really associated bands of natives. and sometimes bands of natives made different decisions from each other. this is how tribes settled in different areas. some of these bands were federally recognized, some state recognized and some have not applied for or been recognized by anyone and are still in process.

there are STILL no records for this. it is likely that you don’t have enough information to be able to find her parents. does her death certificate list her parents? does it have a specific birthplace? do you have her obituary and cemetery record? do you have her marriage license? death certificates can give you information about the death, maybe give you ideas about birth or parents, but it would depend on what the informant knew. if you are stuck, you might get a copy of her social security application. she would have known who her parents were, would have had to submit a delayed birth certificate in order to show proof of age when social security came into effect 1/1/1937.

you can get a copy of her obituary through your local public library/interlibrary loan program.

well here’s one stab in the dark:

Name: Atha P E Matlock
Home in 1900: Township 6, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory
Birthplace: Texas
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
Parent’s Name: Annie L Matlock
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Benton B Wainscot 55
Leuana Wainscot 40
Mary E Wainscot 19
James A Wainscot 17
John B Wainscot 14
Nellie Wainscot 11
Cecil H Wainscot 8
William W Wainscot 6
Julia E Wainscot 3
Melvin Wainscot 1
Abraham C Fields 37
Annie L Matlock 26
Atha P E Matlock 3
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 6, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: T623_1848; Enumeration District: 148.
someone has a family tree on ancestry.com and says this person’s name is actually otha. i don’t know. but i am trying to find a best match.

Name: Eva Matlock
Home in 1900: Avoca, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma
Birthplace: Oklahoma
Household Members:
Name Age
Eva Matlock 3
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Avoca, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma; Roll: T623_1342; Enumeration District: 191.
parents are david and elmira matlock.

Name: Lessie Matlock
Birthplace: Indian Territory, Oklahoma
Father’s name: Milton Matlock
Mother’s name: Sallie Matlock
Household Members:
Name Age
Milton Matlock 29
Sallie Matlock 25
Walter Matlock 11
Charlie Matlock 9
Willie Matlock 7
Carrie Matlock 5
Lessie Matlock 3
William Overturf 18
Will Blackwell 17
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 6, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: T623_1848; Enumeration District: 147.

1900 United States Federal Census
about Virgil A Matlock
Name: Virgil A Matlock
Home in 1900: Township 13, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory
Father’s name: L T Matlock
Mother’s name: Julia A Matlock
Household Members:
Name Age
S T Matlock 41
Julia A Matlock 37
Cora Matlock 18
Harriet Matlock 10
Gracie M Matlock 8
W F Matlock 7
Virgil A Matlock 1
A S Matlock 19
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 13, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: T623_1846; Enumeration District: 44.

Name: Alice Mattock
[Alice Matlock]
Age in 1910: 2
Estimated Birth Year: 1908
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father’s name: James M Mattock
Father’s Birth Place: Arkansas
Mother’s name: Floe M Mattock
Mother’s Birth Place: Tennessee
Home in 1910: Stratford, Garvin, Oklahoma
Marital Status: Single
Household Members:
Name Age
James M Mattock 41
Floe M Mattock 35
Velma I Mattock 13
Ruben H Mattock 11
Ray Mattock 5
Alice Mattock 2
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Stratford, Garvin, Oklahoma; Roll: T624_1252; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 0083; Image: 462; FHL Number: 1375265.

since you only have initials for c. v. goodwin, i am wondering if one of these is your alice:

View Record Name Parent or spouse names Home in 1930
(City,County,State) Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relation View Image
View Record
Alice Goodwin Alford N Precinct 2, Burnet, Texas abt 1862 Wife
View Record
Alice Goodwin Martin Precinct 5, Hill, Texas abt 1865 Wife
View Record
Alice W Goodwin Bethena Wills Point, Van Zandt, Texas abt 1876 Texas Head
View Record
Alice Goodwin McAllen, Hidalgo, Texas abt 1890 Sister
View Record
E Alice Goodwin E Thomas Houston, Harris, Texas abt 1892 Wife
View Record
Alice Goodwin Spencer C Hutto, Williamson, Texas abt 1893 Wife
View Record
Alice J Goodwin Harless A Burkburnett, Wichita, Texas abt 1898 Wife
View Record
Alice Goodwin Precinct 4, Harris, Texas
View Record
Alice M Murphee
[Alice M Goodwin] James M,
James Precinct 2, Lamb, Texas abt 1906 Wife

or maybe she was married to someone else in 1930?

no alice cope in texas in 1930.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 3, 2011

ok, so that these are all in one thread, this is what you wrote earlier:
I have looked for about a year,and nothing I found some things like,my grandmother was born (may be) in 1888 or 1899.her name was ALICE EDITH MATLOCK.Her mothers name was Elizebith Anderson.Fathers Name unknown.I was told she was Cherokee but my step mother died.was told she was not .Have one pic of her.she never let any one take pic of her.My fathers name is Clarence Manard Corp.If you know any thing,or if she has family left any where,E mail me cherokeeeyes 2@ yahoo.com.Penny

in genealogical inquiries, please do not use shortcuts and abbreviations. it sometimes makes it more difficult to understand. you should organize your post. start with the first generation, give dates, locations, spouse, children, and then the next generation. your post goes back and forth, jumps one generation to another and back again. it is difficult to understand. when you use pronouns, i don’t know who you are talking about. try not to make typos on names.

? matlock m. elizabeth anderson
alice edith matlock b. 9 Mar 1899 AR? TX? IT – indian territory? d. 1966 TX m. c. v. goodwin
? corp m. rosa l. opal.
i don’t know who is the parent of flora and faye.
we do genealogy on living people. i don’t know if your father is living or not, same with his spouse.

first of all, if they lived in texas, it is doubtful that they applied for enrollment to a tribe in oklahoma. they may have applied for enrollment to a texas tribe or they might be mississippi choctaw. see the links about mississippi choctaw in my earlier post, as there are links and resources there. i won’t repeat them here.

there are a few matlocks on the dawes roll but none with these names. the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906 and included the names of applicants to the five major tribes in oklahoma/indian territory. oklahoma became a state in 1907. i think there was a cherokee tribe in texas. this is just a recollection. but look at the information in my earlier post on texas tribes.

it think the basic confusion is that tribes were really associated bands of natives. and sometimes bands of natives made different decisions from each other. this is how tribes settled in different areas. some of these bands were federally recognized, some state recognized and some have not applied for or been recognized by anyone and are still in process.

there are STILL no records for this. it is likely that you don’t have enough information to be able to find her parents. does her death certificate list her parents? does it have a specific birthplace? do you have her obituary and cemetery record? do you have her marriage license? death certificates can give you information about the death, maybe give you ideas about birth or parents, but it would depend on what the informant knew. if you are stuck, you might get a copy of her social security application. she would have known who her parents were, would have had to submit a delayed birth certificate in order to show proof of age when social security came into effect 1/1/1937.

you can get a copy of her obituary through your local public library/interlibrary loan program.

well here’s one stab in the dark:

Name: Atha P E Matlock
Birthplace: Texas
Parent’s Name: Annie L Matlock
Household Members:
Name Age
Benton B Wainscot 55
Leuana Wainscot 40
Mary E Wainscot 19
James A Wainscot 17
John B Wainscot 14
Nellie Wainscot 11
Cecil H Wainscot 8
William W Wainscot 6
Julia E Wainscot 3
Melvin Wainscot 1
Abraham C Fields 37
Annie L Matlock 26
Atha P E Matlock 3
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 6, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: T623_1848; Enumeration District: 148.
someone has a family tree on ancestry.com and says this person’s name is actually otha. i don’t know. but i am trying to find a best match.

Name: Eva Matlock
Home in 1900: Avoca, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma
Household Members:
Name Age
Eva Matlock 3
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Avoca, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma; Roll: T623_1342; Enumeration District: 191.
parents are david and elmira matlock.

Name: Lessie Matlock
Father’s name: Milton Matlock
Mother’s name: Sallie Matlock
Household Members:
Name Age
Milton Matlock 29
Sallie Matlock 25
Walter Matlock 11
Charlie Matlock 9
Willie Matlock 7
Carrie Matlock 5
Lessie Matlock 3
William Overturf 18
Will Blackwell 17
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 6, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: T623_1848; Enumeration District: 147.

1900 United States Federal Census
about Virgil A Matlock
Name: Virgil A Matlock
Home in 1900: Township 13, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory
Father’s name: L T Matlock
Mother’s name: Julia A Matlock
Household Members:
Name Age
S T Matlock 41
Julia A Matlock 37
Cora Matlock 18
Harriet Matlock 10
Gracie M Matlock 8
W F Matlock 7
Virgil A Matlock 1
A S Matlock 19
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 13, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: T623_1846; Enumeration District: 44.

Name: Alice Mattock
[Alice Matlock]
Age in 1910: 2
Estimated Birth Year: 1908
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father’s name: James M Mattock
Father’s Birth Place: Arkansas
Mother’s name: Floe M Mattock
Mother’s Birth Place: Tennessee
Home in 1910: Stratford, Garvin, Oklahoma
Marital Status: Single
Household Members:
Name Age
James M Mattock 41
Floe M Mattock 35
Velma I Mattock 13
Ruben H Mattock 11
Ray Mattock 5
Alice Mattock 2
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Stratford, Garvin, Oklahoma; Roll: T624_1252; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 0083; Image: 462; FHL Number: 1375265.

since you only have initials for c. v. goodwin, i am wondering if one of these is your alice:

View Record Name Parent or spouse names Home in 1930
(City,County,State) Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relation View Image
View Record
Alice Goodwin Alford N Precinct 2, Burnet, Texas abt 1862 Wife
View Record
Alice Goodwin Martin Precinct 5, Hill, Texas abt 1865 Wife
View Record
Alice W Goodwin Bethena Wills Point, Van Zandt, Texas abt 1876 Texas Head
View Record
Alice Goodwin McAllen, Hidalgo, Texas abt 1890 Sister
View Record
E Alice Goodwin E Thomas Houston, Harris, Texas abt 1892 Wife
View Record
Alice Goodwin Spencer C Hutto, Williamson, Texas abt 1893 Wife
View Record
Alice J Goodwin Harless A Burkburnett, Wichita, Texas abt 1898 Wife
View Record
Alice Goodwin Precinct 4, Harris, Texas
View Record
Alice M Murphee
[Alice M Goodwin] James M,
James Precinct 2, Lamb, Texas abt 1906 Wife

or maybe she was married to someone else in 1930?

no alice cope in texas in 1930.