Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation

Anderson Family

Jazmin Hall Jazmin Hall

posted on April 27, 2011

Hey! I have recently discovered that I am part Choctaw on my mother’s side and have decided to start family tree and re-establish my family’s roots.

A little background information:

My name is Jazmin Breanna Hall (17) birthday 1/22/94 and I have a younger sister named Ashley Justice Hall.(15) bday 7/12/95. My mother’s name is Latrice Smith (maiden: Anderson) and her mom Deon Dersosha Deshields (previously Anderson, maiden: TBA). My grandfather on my mother’s side is Tommy Anderson. This is all the information I know at the moment. Any help would be sooooo greatly appreciated.


suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on April 28, 2011

this is great information. you start with what you know, gather documents, and then you can go back in time. so get your birth certificate, your parents’ birth certificates and marriage license and then you can start on your grandparents.

this article might be helpful about sources of information:

the 1940 census will be released 2012. for now, you want to document your family down to the 1900 time period, as the dawes roll occurred 1896-1906.

birth certificates, marriage license is necessary. but there are other documents that will help you, such as obituaries. you can ask for these at your local public library, through the interlibrary loan program. for that matter, historical newspapers, local history books can be accessed through this program.

if you need help with a deceased relative’s information, and they passed away after 1/1/1937, you can ask for their social security application. when people applied for social security, they had to show proof of age. since many people didn’t have birth certificates, they submitted delayed birth certificates. so if you ask for a birth certificate, and you think they might not have been in an area where there were birth certificates, you should also ask for a delayed birth certificate. this way, if the vital records office looks in a particular time period for a birth certificate, they will also look for a delayed birth certificate filed some time after they were born.

other documents that might help would be military records, pension records, land records, court records. but these will not establish your relationship. they will only help you build information about your family.

if you want to build a family tree on rootsweb worldconnect, remember that people don’t list relatives if they are still alive. this is for privacy reasons. you should not list the personal details of any living person on the internet. we use “living” for a name, if they are still living. several genealogy software packages will do this for you, if you indicate whether someone is living. the legacy software program is excellent and they have a free version.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouse. so if you post on a message board, it is helpful to include these details about a deceased person. if they passed away after 1/1/1964, they might be listed on the social security death index. it is also available on rootsweb.

death indexes and census records are often under the name last used by the deceased but other records are kept under the maiden name.

it sounds like you are not down to the 1930 time period yet. i found the nevada marriage with franklin 2003.

and this obituary might be about your family.
Darlene Phyllis (Antognazzi) Sanders
Sanders, Darlene Phyllis (Antognazzi) 74 03/11/1934 01/09/2009 Darlene was born in Fortuna, Calif She was a rental property investor Darlene is survived by her daughters, Denice Doggett, Deon Anderson, and Danell Morris; and her son, Daniel Pettit. There was a private service held.
Published in The Oregonian on 3/3/2009

these names are more common than you think. there are several records for people named deon anderson, for instance. this is why details would be necessary to find records. but i can give you guidelines about to do genealogy and let you find records for your family. you probably know where they lived and who they were associated with.

the public library probably has a subscription to the ancestry database, which has many records. they also have some historical newspapers and some recent obituaries. and people have put records online in rootsweb and ancestry websites. many people do this so that relatives can contact them, share documents and resources. rootsweb also has webprojects and messageboards for tribes, locations and surnames.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

start with what you know, gather documentation, then you can go backward in time. so get your birth certificate, your parents’ birth certificates and marriage license and then you can start on your grandparents. if someone passed away after 1/1/1937, they probably have a social security application on file. if you ask a government for a birth certificate, and they were born before 1929, they might have sumitted a delayed birth certificate. death certificates, cemetery information and obituaries are helpful. you can usually get a copy of an obituary, newspaper mentions such as birth of a child or marriage, through the interlibrary loan program – see your local public library for this. i usually start with the death and work toward the person’s birth. military records and pension records can be helpful. census records can tell you where they were at particular times. the census records up to 1930 are available, although the 1890 census was largely destroyed. the 1940 census will be public information in 2012.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search:
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.
if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.

NARA federal records repository. the fort worth, TX office has archives for oklahoma and texas tribes. atlanta/morrow office has archives for the southwest tribes. many offices have microfilmed records for several tribes. note that this web address has changed recently from

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:

jena choctaw tribe in louisiana:

MOWA tribe
MOWA Band Of Choctaws Wilford Taylor 1080 Red Fox Road Mount Vernon, AL 36560 (251) 829-5500. E-Mail:

other choctaw tribes:

chickasaw historical society 22
Historic Preservation and
Repatriation Office
Phone: (580) 272-5325
Fax: (580) 272-5327
2020 E. Arlington, Suite 4, Ada, OK 74820
send mail to: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821

chickasaw tribe
Chickasaw Nation Headquarters
520 East Arlington, Ada, OK 74820
Phone (580) 436-2603
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821

chickasaw genealogy archive center 23
Tribal Library
Phone: (580) 310-6477
Fax: (580) 559-0773
1003 Chamber Loop, Ada, OK 74820
send mail to: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821
oklahoma historical society

texas tribes

oklahoma tribes:

some links for the choctaw.
i looked at the land records and those need a lot of work. i have no information about whether or when they will improve some of these categories.

types of records available for native americans:
pages 366-369 in particular although the entire native american chapter is helpful.
The Genealogist’s Companion and Sourcebook:
Guide to the Resources You Need for Unpuzzling Your Past
Emily Anne Croom
you can ask for these particular pages from your local public library. if they don’t have the book, you can get the pages through the interlibrary loan program.
native american records are discussed in pages 352-386.

Tracing ancestors among the Five Civilized Tribes: Southeastern Indians …
By Rachal Mills Lennon
this book could be accessed through the interlibary loan program also.

always find the state archives. some records are online, some records are not. but many times you can find a record not found in other places. you want to see also about newspaper mentions for obituaries, births, marriages in particular.

check courts for probate, civil and criminal cases, marriage records.

if your ancestors lived on a reservation, they might not appear on a federal census because they were not taxed.
1860 census, indian territory.

this book is a good read about the dawes roll and how they implemented it.
The Dawes Commission and the allotment of the Five Civilized Tribes, 1893-1914
By Kent Carter

good advice about native research:

if your relatives came from a different geographic location or belonged to a different tribe, try searching google for the state and tribes. you might find a contact for a state-recognized tribe or a federal recognized tribe.

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Jonathan S. Chilton Jonathan S. Chilton

posted on May 2, 2011

To search the Dawes Final Rolls:

Oklahoma Historical Society Research Center:

Copy and paste the appropriate URL into your web browser and it will take you to the Website.