Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

fulsom/folsom connection

chahta ohoyo chahta ohoyo

posted on December 11, 2010 and updated on December 11, 2010

hello, all
have made a few connections since last night…
my choctaw great great grandmother was melinda fulsom…
her daughter was susannah jane dean …
her grand daughter was nancy jane dean smith, my great grandmother…
would love to have any info anyone has on these relations…
the photo i am attaching is nancy jane dean smith, the granddaughter of melinda fulsom, and her husband, lorenzo dow smith, from mississippi, and her three daughters, rosa, serentha, and pearl, my grandmother, who is a baby on her mother’s lap..
thanx for any/all help
janice lee weiss truitt

attached:

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on December 11, 2010

if you want some help with genealogy, certain things need to be made clear. like maiden names and married names. birthdates and locations are very important also.

if you are trying to hook up with relatives, genealogy is an absolutely great place to start. people who are interested in genealogy are usually very interested in family and love to meet cousins. messageboards are an excellent place too. rootsweb and ancestry and genealogy.com all have messageboards for locations, tribes, surnames. i use the maiden name on a surname board for the spouse because the relevant messages usually pop out in a search.

you seemed to confirm that i had found the right family:
Household Members:
Name Age
Lorenzo Smith 40
Nannie J Smith 37
Rasa E Smith 14
Serintha Smith 10
Pearl L Smith 7
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Nocona, Montague, Texas; Roll: T623_1660; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 58.

they would not be on the dawes roll if they were living in TX in 1900. the dawes roll is a list of people who applied to one of the five major tribes in oklahoma 1896-1906.
do look at the texas tribes and the mississippi choctaw tribe.
if there is no information on them in the dawes applications, you might be able to prove affiliation with the tribe by tracing the families back to the 1830-1870 time period and seeing if the head of household received a choctaw scrip land grant. natives accepted these in lieu of tribal termination.

as you go backward, look at start archives and local history books for your family too. there might be trading logs or ration book entries also.

lorenzo d. smith, head, white male, b. may 1860, age 40, married 15 years, b. MS, parents b. MS, is a farmer, reads and writes, owns the farm with a mortgage.
nannie j., wife, white female, b. jully 1868, age 31, married 15 years, had 3 children and all survive, b. MO, father b. TN, mother b. MO
rosa e., daughter, white female, b. aug. 1885, age 14, single, b. TX, in school
serentha, daughter, white female, b. june 1889, age 10, single, b. TX
pearl l., daughter, white female, b. april 1893, age 7, single, b. TX

Household Members:
Name Age
Henry D Smith 49
Nannie J Smith 41
Serintha A Smith 20
Pearl L Smith 17
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Justice Precinct 7, Montague, Texas; Roll: T624_1579; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 179; Image: 499.
lorenzo is still a farmer, owns the farm free and clear. nothing has changed regarding birthplaces.

Household Members:
Name Age
Loraye D Smith 59
Namie J Smith 51
Rosa E Hodges 34
Stanley M Hodges 10
Audria T Hodges 5
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Justice Precinct 7, Montague, Texas; Roll: T625_1835; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 104; Image: 379.

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Precinct 7, Montague, Texas; Roll: 2377; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 17; Image: 1120.0.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on December 11, 2010

Texas Death Index, 1903-2000
about Lorenzo Dow Smith
Name: Lorenzo Dow Smith
Death Date: 30 Mar 1955
Death County: Montague
Certificate: 14338

Household Members:
Name Age
Alexander C. Dean 40
Sarah J. Dean 25
George B. Dean 13
Nancy J. Dean 11
John W. Dean 5
Sophia H. Dean 2
William A. Dean 9m
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Dillon, Phelps, Missouri; Roll: 709; Family History Film: 1254709; Page: 332C; Enumeration District: 124; Image: 0035.
is sarah jane a second wife? she would have been close to 14 years old if she was nancy’s mother.

1870 United States Federal Census
about Alex C Dean
Name: Alex C Dean
Birth Year: abt 1840
Age in 1870: 30
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1870: Rolla, Phelps, Missouri
Value of real estate: View image
Post Office: Rolla
Household Members:
Name Age
Alex C Dean 30
Susan J Dean 21
Mc Clelland Dean 3
Nancy J Dean 2
Sarah Barnes 21
Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Rolla, Phelps, Missouri; Roll: M593_797; Page: 704A; Image: 631; Family History Library Film: 552296.
then again, maybe the date is wrong.

sarah is the schoolmistress. alex is b. TN, susan b. MO
this might be a good resource for you:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/ordb.asp
http://usgwarchives.net/marriages/missouri/missouri.htm

i don’t know if this is one of your relatives:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/mo/phelps/bios/d5000004.txt
http://files.usgwarchives.net/mo/phelps/obits/d5000004.txt

Dean, Alex Carroll; b. Dec. 10, 1835, d. oct. 11, 1910, h/o Jane Dean
Dean, Jane; b. Jan. 12, 1855, d. (no death date)
http://www.idreamof.com/cemetery/mo/phelps/laney_smith.htm
Laney Smith Cemetery

South Dillon Twp., Rolla, Phelps Co., Missouri
http://www.idreamof.com/cemetery/mo/phelps/laney_smith.htm

rootsweb has location (county and state), tribe and surname webpages. they have archives in location and tribe webpages. they also have cemetery and marriage projects.

chahta ohoyo chahta ohoyo

posted on December 13, 2010

osiyo….yes, this is indeed my family.
my great grandmother, nancy jane dean was the daughter of susannah jane dean who was the daughter of melinda fulsom dean who was the daughter of captain jeremiah folsom…thus laying to rest the ‘ghost’ of our native american relations…the ‘stories’ have run through the family for generations, but no one would ‘fess up’ as to the ‘truth’ of the thing…after almost 50 years of searching, i have finally put it back together…many thanks to all my friends and relations who have provided a solid foundation of many hours of hard work in the days before computers were common, that i was able to use and build on….