Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

blood brother 1898

George Braun George Braun

posted on November 24, 2010 and updated on November 24, 2010

This is a story my great-grandfather has passed down.When he was 19yrs. old in 1898 he was riding thru the country side in Oklahoma territory.He came upon a young indian boy(about 10yrs. old) who was very sick and had a broken leg.So he took the the boy home and doctored him untill he was O.K. to travel.My great-grandfather could talk the language of the boy but the boy would not tell him who he was or were he belonged.So,the boy was taken to a known camp in the area and this was the place he belonged.He was a son of the chief.The boy was very ashamed for having been thrown from his horse and been “captured” by the white man.This boy and my great-grandfather became close friends.They also became blood brothers.My great-grandfather had a scar on his fore-arm that he said is were he was cut.This boy died around 1905.I have lost the boy’s name thru time.My great-grandfather’s name was William Holley.He was an indian school teacher untill he left the area in 1906.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on November 25, 2010

this is not enough information. there are no dates or locations for your great grandfather, no spouse nor children. the boy was not identified and was rumored to pass away. the holley surname is somewhat common. i looked at two william holley records in oklahoma inn 1900 but one of them was a grocery salesperson and the other was a farmer with a wife.

i don’t think you will find out the truth of that story because the only people who might know about it are dead. you haven’t given any reason to suspect that either of them told anyone about this.

gl.

suzanne hamlet shatto