Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Dawes 1896

Joannine Joannine

posted on November 4, 2013

How do you go about finding the final decision on an Appeal granted to a case?

A little background

While researching my Indian heritage I came across the Dawes 1896 application on my Great Grand mother. There is lost of confusion on the spelling of her last name. Ranges from Rhoades, Rhodes, Road(e)s, the latter which appears in the Dawes microfilm. The where 3 other people listed in the same case number; Andrew O, Emmet l & Samuel P. I looked through the file and all I found was another name L F Roades filed the claim and they were granted an Appeal.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

the 1896 dawes process was set aside and tribal membership procedures started again later. i know of no appeals process for the early applications.
the 1896 applicants had to resubmit applications to the tribe.

i think i have answered this question about the rhoades family.

your relative had married a rhoades relative who’s application was listed under the father who had applied as an intermarried white person. this means that his choctaw wife might have passed away before the enrollment process began. however the tribe never ruled on his wife’s heritage and no information was apparently submitted showing that she met the requirements for membership.

the information in on ancestry.com. click on the dawes record and read the whole application process for the family.

you might want to refer to my earlier post on this family.

suzanne hamlet shatto

rayson allen rayson allen

Joannine,

I sent you the information regarding the appeal 0f Leander Franklin Rhoades to the Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes, U S District Court and The Office of the Secretary of the Interior. It was sent to your last posting. There are 67 pages of testimony and documents in the Dawes Packet (Family Group) Choctaw by Blood, Card # 5278 for L. F. Rhoades.

This file is available on fold3.com, a pay website, or at the National Archives (NARA) in Fort Worth, Texas and Washington, D. C.
Your ancestor Ella N. Rhoades Rigsby is detailed there, as is the “overturned” decision of the Courts.