Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Roebuck Family

Crystal Roebuck Crystal Roebuck

posted on October 15, 2013 and updated on October 15, 2013

Hello, my name is Crystal and I am looking for information on my family. My grandfather’s name is Isaiah Roebuck and my great grandfather’s name is Ben Roebuck I believe his wife’s name was Hannah. I have found their roll number on the dawes roll. But I am just looking to get to know more about them and my family. I never met Isaiah he passed away when my father was 12 and my father passed away when I was 18. So it is really important to me to find my family history. If someone could email me with information or point me in the right path I would greatly appreciate it. My email is crystalrroebuck@yahoo.com

rayson allen rayson allen

posted on October 15, 2013

1900 United States Federal Census about Isiah Roebuck
Name: Isiah Roebuck
Birth Date: abt 1889
Birthplace: Indian Territory, Oklahoma
Home in 1900: Township 7, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
Race: Black
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father’s Name: Ben Roebuck
Mother’s Name: Hannah Roebuck

Household Members:
Name Age
Ben Roebuck 39
Hannah Roebuck 46
William Roebuck 19
Ella Roebuck 17
Isiah Roebuck 11
Francis Roebuck 8
Benjiman Roebuck 1

Thank you rayson allen for that information. Also, would I be able to contact Choctaw Nation Citzenship to find out more information.

rayson allen rayson allen

Crystal, The Choctaw Nation would have the same info found in the Dawes Packets (family cards):
CHOCTAW FREEDMEN ROLL, CARD # 485, JACKSON COUNTY, CHOCTAW NATION, INDIAN TERRITORY
Census taken 1896; Application made 5-8-1899 at Goodland, C N, I T. Approved by the Secretary of the Interior on 6-11-1903. Family living at Garretts Bluff,Lamar County, Texas
Roll # 1069 Ben Roebuck, age 44,male, slave of William Roebuck, Choctaw Indian //
Roll # 1070 William Roebuck, age 18, male //
Roll # 1071 Ella Roebuck, age 16, female //
Roll # 1072 Isaiah Roebuck, age 10, male //
Roll # 1073 Frances Roebuck age 6, female //
Roll # 5533 Osborne Timpson, age 23, male ward, son of wife’s sister // Osborne Timpson, son of Henry Timpson, non citizen (usually white), and Lucy Roebuck (Timpson), slave of Eliza Turnbull, Choctaw Indian //
Father of Ben Roebuck was Jim Grave, slave of
Daniel Grave, Choctaw Indian, Blue County, C N I T. // Mother of Ben Roebuck was Adeline Roebuck (Grave) from Kiamitia County, C N I T, slave of William Roebuck, Choctaw Indian //
Wife of Ben Roebuck was Hannah Turnbull (Roebuck) of Jackson County, slave of William Turnbull, Choctaw Indian. //

CHOCTAW FREEDMAN ROLL, CARD # 486, JACKSON COUNTY, CHOCTAW NATION, INDIAN TERRITORY,
Census taken 1896, application made 5-8-1899 at Goodland, C N I T. Approved by the Secretary of the Interior 6-11-1903. Living at Garretts Bluff, Lamar County , texas.
(No Roll #) Hannah Roebuck, female, age 40
NOTE: “Died February, 1901, before enrollment approved, enrollment cancelled”
Roll # 2957 Bennie Roebuck, male, age 1 //
Father of Hannah Turnbull Roebuck was Nara Turnbull, slave of William Turnbull, Choctaw Indian // Mother of Hannah Turnbull Roebuck was Lucinda Green, slave of Eliza Turnbull, Choctaw Indian // Father of Bennie Roebuck, born 1898 was Ben Roebuck, age 49, now living at Grant, C N I T, as of 12-1-1901.

1860 CENSUS, SLAVE SCHEDULES, KIAMITIA COUNTY, CHOCTAW NATION, ARKANSAS TERRITORY
Black male, age 50, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 60, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 45, slave of Eliza Turnbull //

1860 CENSUS, SLAVE SCHEDULES, TOWSON COUNTY, CHOCTAW NATION, ARKANSAS TERRITORY
Black male, age 50, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 40, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Black male, age 23, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Black male, age 22, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 15, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Black male, age 11, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Black male, age 10, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 8, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 6, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 5, slave of Eliza Turnbull //
Blk female, age 1, slave of Eliza Turnbull //

The Freedmen enrollment process by the Dawes Commission and the Choctaw Nation before 1907 was finite, meaning they only enrolled the Freemen families living at that time. No provision was made for enrolling any descendants into the Choctaw Nation. That rule may have changed, best to talk to the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma about their enrollment process and policy. Good Luck!

posted on October 16, 2013

Thank you so much and I am truly grateful for all of your assistance!!