Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation

Johnson Family ~ Boswell, Oklahoma

Nicole Asphy(Johnson) Nicole Asphy(Johnson)

posted on October 25, 2010

Hello, i would like to know if someone has any information on the Johnson family who resided in Boswell, Ok in the 1900’s. Im looking for any information and or extended family members of Emily Johnson she had three sons, Phillip E. johnson born Oct 1922, Clarence B. Johnson Born abt. 1927 and Edward (Jerry?) Johnson b. abt 1910 I found information in the U.S census 1930 but that is all I have been able to find.
if anyone knows how I can get information on my family can you please reply to this message.



suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on October 25, 2010

emily ? m. ? johnson
phillip e. johnson b. 10/1922 OK?
clarence b. johnson b. 1927 OK
edward jerry? johnson b. 1910 OK?

i am guessing at the location of the children. where was emily born and where? who was her spouse?

this must be what you are looking at:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Emily Johnson
Name: Emily Johnson
Home in 1930: Boswell, Choctaw, Oklahoma
View Map
Age: 35
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Birthplace: Texas
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: Negro (Black)


Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents’ birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Emily Johnson 35
Edward Mae Johnson 20
Phillips Ernest Johnson 7
Clarence B Johnson 2
she owns her own house, is widowed, she was b. 1895 TX, father b. GA, mother b. TN, is a restaurant cook
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Boswell, Choctaw, Oklahoma; Roll: 1897; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 1; Image: 551.0.

edward’s last night might be different than johnson.
you can correct ancestry’s name index so that others can find your family. the children were b. OK.

if you had a birth certificate or delayed birth certificate for one of the children, you would have her maiden name and the name of their father.

only edward and emily might be in the 1920 census. she would probably have been married at that time since phillip was b. 1922. i will first look at 1920 census in choctaw county.

i am also not finding much information in the census records. this would mean that you should get a copy of the birth certificate or delayed birth certificate for the children, that you should probably try to get a copy of the social security application of emily or one of the children.

they do not generally put vital records online for reasons of privacy. you will have to actually write to oklahoma vital records and get a copy.

i would venture a guess that they came from another area and moved into choctaw county some time after 1920.

an obituary of the children, an obituary of email might be helpful also. you can get a copy of a local newspaper through the interlibrary loan program. see your local public library for that.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search:
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.
if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:

jena choctaw tribe in louisiana:

MOWA tribe
MOWA Band Of Choctaws Wilford Taylor 1080 Red Fox Road Mount Vernon, AL 36560 (251) 829-5500. E-Mail:

texas tribes

oklahoma tribes:

types of records available for native americans:
pages 366-369 in particular although the entire native american chapter is helpful.
The Genealogist’s Companion and Sourcebook:
Guide to the Resources You Need for Unpuzzling Your Past
Emily Anne Croom
you can ask for these particular pages from your local public library. if they don’t have the book, you can get the pages through the interlibrary loan program.
native american records are discussed in pages 352-386.

Tracing ancestors among the Five Civilized Tribes: Southeastern Indians …
By Rachal Mills Lennon
this book could be accessed through the interlibary loan program also.

always find the state archives. some records are online, some records are not. but many times you can find a record not found in other places. you want to see also about newspaper mentions for obituaries, births, marriages in particular.

check courts for probate, civil and criminal cases, marriage records.

this book is a good read about the dawes roll and how they implemented it.
The Dawes Commission and the allotment of the Five Civilized Tribes, 1893-1914
By Kent Carter

good advice about native research:

if your relatives came from a different geographic location or belonged to a different tribe, try searching google for the state and tribes. you might find a contact for a state-recognized tribe or a federal recognized tribe.

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Nicole Asphy(Johnson) Nicole Asphy(Johnson)

posted on October 27, 2010

Thank you for the information. Im currently applying to receive my fathers (Phillip Johnson) birth certificate from Oklahoma. With hopes that I will be able to get the correct name (spelling for Toss)of my grandmothers maiden name. My grand fathers name was also suppose to be Phillip (Ernest) Johnson, but I have not been able to find any information on him at all. The census is about right except for birth years there off by a year. I have searched the Rolls etc. but have not been able to find anything. Being that they are now all deceased it’s been a task to find out anything. I will try some of the other options you have given me and see what happens.

Again Thank you very much for your reply.


suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on October 27, 2010

emily toss b. 1895? TX
and phillip ernest johnson.

i see no toss surnames here:

she was born in TX. TX was not on the trail of tears. so her family may have made an unofficial migration from the reservation areas. they called these natives mississippi choctaw. she might not have been eligible for enrollment.

i don’t see a good record for anything like phillip johnson.

maybe you are finding this difficult because they are not on the dawes roll? it sounds as if you should wait for a copy of the birth certificate, so you have more information.

i am not finding a record for an emily toss that lived anywhere in the united states.

you should start with the records in a time closest to you. so the obituary, death certificate, cemetery record. then you get a copy of the marriage license. then you try to find a birth certificate. even if you aren’t sure of the name of your grandmother, her child probably was. and this name would probably be on their social security application that was filed in 1/1/1937. to show proof of age, many people submitted a delayed birth certificate. so when you ask for a birth certificate, you should also ask for a delayed birth certificate, because many records are filed chronologically. then the vital records staff know where to find the record.

you can access many books, articles, obituaries, newspapers through the interlibrary loan program. see your local public library for that.


Nicole Asphy(Johnson) Nicole Asphy(Johnson)

posted on June 17, 2011

I have been still trying to find information and Im having no luck.
Just recieved letter from Ok vital statistics and after four months of waiting they were unable to find a birth certificate for my father.
If you have any other suggestions please post them.



suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 17, 2011

did you ask for a delayed birth certificate for him? many peop had to ask for delayed birth certificates because none was filed at the time of their birth. when social security came into effect 1/1/1937, a great many people had to submit delayed birth certificates.

could he have been adopted, formally or informally?

when you ask for a birth certificate, you also have to ask for a delayed birth certificate. many birth records are kept in chronological order, so they often don’t find a birth record that was filed later.

when i am trying to find documents, i often start with the death: death certificate from vital records of the state where he passed away, obituary – see your local public library about that, cemetery record – many websites have listings like and if he passed away after 1963, he would have been listed on the social security death index. they have the index on

then i look for a marriage, military records, children’s birth records, then birth certificate of the person.

if you get stumped, you might try his social security application. when this was filled out, the person who wrote it probably knew more details of his life than you know presently.


Nicole Asphy(Johnson) Nicole Asphy(Johnson)

posted on August 4, 2011


Well, as I said before, it was a dead end ordering my fathers birth certificate. Vital statistics did not find a birth certificate and they also did do a delayed search. so I applied for a SSA from my father and today I recieved his social security application and found out new information. The spelling of his name is Philip Earnest Johnson Jr. , so the difference in spelling on the census is of one l in Philip and middle name was also spelled incorrect (Earnest not Ernest). Also, my grandmothers last name is Shaw not (Toss). I found the names on the website but not sure if it is them or not. How can you be for sure?

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on August 4, 2011

that would be unlikely for him to be on the dawes roll. the dawes roll closed in 1906.

you need to trace the relatives back to the 1900 time period and then look on the dawes roll.

once you get back to that time period, and search for a partial name, and find one. then click on the # in the card column and you see the family name. the information from the census should match the information on the card. look at the card codes, like p=parent.

Dawes Card Information

tribe last first middle age sex blood card roll misc type
Choctaw Charles 0 M 3621 P
Choctaw Sallie 0 F 3621 P
Choctaw Johnson Sarah 0 F 3621 P
Choctaw Johnson Henry 1 M FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Johnson Missie 1 F FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Johnson Pearl 1 F FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Johnson Mary 3 F FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Johnson Moses 21 M FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Johnson Frances 35 F FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Johnson Philip 48 M FULL 3621 NR BENNINGTON BB
Choctaw Jones Edmond 0 M 3621 P
Choctaw Jones Isabelle 0 F 3621 P

bb=by blood

i search for death first, then backward in time. obituary might be available from your local public library/interlibrary loan program. state vital records for a death certificate. you might find a cemetery record from or

then marriage, then birth record.

please re-read my earlier post to you.

he would have had to submit a birth certificate or delayed birth certificate in order to show proof of age for social security.

Nicole Asphy(Johnson) Nicole Asphy(Johnson)

posted on September 8, 2011

I have found a Emily Johnson on the Dawes and also Philip Johnson. Still unsure of how I can find out If this is my grandparents. I reapplied for my fathers birth certificate using the correct names & spellings of my grandparents,but still have not recieved it.
I have also been researching various sights but still coming up with nothing.
This is harder than what I thought.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 9, 2011

when you do genealogy, you have to value little bits of information.

i would bet that the birth occurred elsewhere.

do you have a copy of the death certificate? the social security application? these would have information about where you can expect to find a birth certificate. and always ask for a delayed birth certificate at the same time.

as far as finding the family group on the dawes roll:
enter the name. partial names are ok.
when you get a list, click on the # in the card column and this will show you the family group on that card.
this might help you decide if the card is for your relative.

if the family is listed on or then a month’s subscription is cheaper than ordering from NARA or oklahoma historical society.

NARA fort worth office:
look at the codes so that you will better understand the codes on the index.
and this gives the fort worth contact information, price

i wish i could help you by at least verifying what you see, but i am not sure you have the right information. these names are common.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906 and includes names of applicants to the five major tribes in oklahoma. there are 63 tribes in oklahoma. if any of your family were members of the choctaw tribe after 1906, they would not be on the dawes roll. you have to trace your family down to this time period FIRST, and then see if their names were on the dawes roll.

anyone who was alive 1/1/1937 has a social security application on file and they would have had to show a birth record to show proof of age. sometimes they had a birth certificate, but more often they filed a delayed birth certificate. the birth had to be verified by two people, usually relatives. these delayed birth certificates were usually applied for at the state vital records office or county vital records office where the birth occurred. this document will show when and where someone was born, who their parents were.

people who were married in the time period 1896-1906 usually have to look at the family groups of the maiden and married name.

genealogy is a process. you can do this. and you will feel very accomplished when you succeed at finding the information.