rayson allen rayson allen

posted on September 12, 2013 and updated on September 13, 2013

U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current about Mary Willhite
Name: Mary Willhite
SSN: 510-01-6176
Last Residence: 95472 Sebastopol, Sonoma, California, USA
Born: 9 Mar 1895
Died: 2 Sep 1968
State (Year) SSN issued: Kansas (Before 1951)

posted on September 12, 2013

1910 United States Federal Census about Alfred L Totton
Name: Alfred L Totton
[Alfred C Totton]
Age in 1910: 66
Birth Year: abt 1844
Birthplace: Illinois
Home in 1910: Perry, McClain, Oklahoma
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse’s Name: Mary Totton
Father’s Birthplace: Mississippi
Mother’s Birthplace: Ohio
Household Members:
Name Age
Alfred L Totton 66
Mary Totton 66
Edna Totton 15
Mary E Totton 13

NOTE: May, 1900 Alfred was living in Purcell, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory and on 11-19-1903 he was living in Tishomingo, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory. This taken from his testimony to the Dawes Commission, MCR 832

posted on September 12, 2013 and updated on September 13, 2013

Alfred H. Totten, findagrave.com ( picture of gravestone)

Learn about sponsoring this memorial…
Birth: Feb. 22, 1849
Death: May 10, 1927

Family links:
Spouse:
Mary A. Pottorff Totten (1846 – 1927)*

Children: Wilson Estle Totten (1875 – 1974)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Fairlawn Cemetery
Cushing
Payne County
Oklahoma, USA

Created by: Joyce Koch
Record added: Jun 11, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 14577589

Alfred H. Totten

Dana sedgwic-Hickey Dana sedgwic-Hickey

posted on September 13, 2013

So the info on Mary Edna matches up. I know she was burried in Sebastopol. The last alfred matches up th my dates although i dont understamd the"children" part? Mary is not listed?

Apparently the creator of the memorial, Joyce Koch, did not know about Mary? The site does have a link to add information. I suggest you go for it! Maybe she is a relative of yours…..

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

many of the schools located in indian territory have records at NARA/fort worth, TX. the agent reports often was called a school report.

posted on September 14, 2013

Joyce died last month….
:-/

posted on September 15, 2013

dana, you should talk to the findagrave people and see if you can take over that listing for your ancestor on findagrave.

usually, the only way a child is listed on a memorial is if someone knows where the findagrave listing for that child is located. many times it is because the child is buried in the same area, perhaps a family plot. if you know where more children might be buried, it would be worth listing them as children on that webpage and linking to their findagrave listing.

also, many findagrave contributors are not related to their listings and many do not pursue the obituaries themselves. rather, they are usually people who live near a cemetery and have walked the cemetery and listed the occupants of the graves. in my opinion, you should see if an obituary is available from historical newspapers and post it on the findagrave webpage for that person.

findagrave contributors will usually post an obituary, if the family gives the contributor a copy of it.

i have also found that many contributors will not allow family to replace them as the contributor. apparently, many contributors want to be listed for as many findagrave pages as they can get and that does not work in favor of actual family members of that person. worse, findagrave takes no position on this and will not change the contributor to a family member. however, if a contributor is deceased, then you might be able to prevail on findagrave to change the contributor to yourself or another family member because that person’s memorial page is now not being maintained.

for an obituary, you should contact your local public library/interlibrary loan program. the obituary might be available through the library, through local historical societies or state archives.
some people post death certificate information, family members. i am of the opinion that more information is better, so that others can find your family members.

suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 15, 2013

Thanks, I had no idea about all of this? Will try to do that.

posted on September 16, 2013

Okay, I sent findagrave the sibling info so they can update what they have. :-)
Now that I have a direct line bact to my Indian heritage, what do I do next?
Do I need to get birth certificates before applying?

posted on September 16, 2013

Dana, birth and death certificates are always needed. However, in your case, and before you
go through the expense, remember that your ancestors who applied to the Dawes Commission were all refused and given a MCR classification. MCR means Mississippi Choctaw Refused. This would make it difficult to be accepted by the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. You need to talk to them about your heritage. You should also talk to the Mississippi Choctaw Tribe of Mississippi, perhaps their enrollment process is less restrictive. At any rate, for genealogical purposes, finding a direct link to your Indian ancestors is an
accomplishment worth celebrating in itself!

posted on September 17, 2013

Yes it is, i am very happy. And i have to give many thanks tothe two of you with all the information you both supplied me!
Can I find the Mississippi Choctaw on line like I found you?

posted on September 17, 2013

Try www.choctaw.org Good Luck!

posted on September 20, 2013

I found a site for the Miss. chactaw and emailed them days ago, but have not heard back yet.

posted on September 21, 2013

bear in mind that each tribe has its own rules for membership.
http://www.choctaw.org/government/court/constitution.html#three