Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Looking for Son

Tina C Tina C

posted on July 16, 2013

My Grandfather Perry Toney is looking for his son. Perry Toney Jr? He met Ella Ruscha or Duscha during his training at Camp Barkley WW11 1940-1943, Abiline Texas and thinks she was Choctaw. He is a Navajo and is 92. His last memory of Ella was she was to introduce him to his son in Holbrook, AZ 1944-1950?. He was unable to make it. If anyone knows Ella or her son Perry (name might be changed) please contact me. Thank you.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on July 16, 2013 and updated on July 16, 2013

no information about where ella was living, when his son was born and where. this post also does not indicate if ella and perry sr. every lived together, whether she was every known by the last name of toney.

phone directories might help here. your local public library may have some directories. current directories might be at ancestry.com and/or whitepages.com.

was there a divorce? name changes might be listed in the legal papers.

do you have a copy of his birth certificate? this might include a social security # to help you in his search. there might be better identifying information on ella also. state vital records has birth certificates.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Tina C Tina C

posted on July 16, 2013

He meet Ella while he was stationed at Camp Barkley in Texas, a brief affair. No Marriage. My Grandfather stated she was from Oklahoma and was Choctaw. He remembered her name as Rusha or Duscha but said it was a long last name and she shorted it (or he couldn’t remember it). I only get bits and pieces from him. He never had his own natural son. He told me of this story on a trip to Arizona. You gave me good information. I’ll try Oklahoma birth records. I assumed if she was Choctaw Indian his sons birth records might be at Indian Health Services. Thanks for the tips.