Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

How to prove lineage

Dee Caster Dee Caster

posted on June 8, 2013 and updated on June 8, 2013

Hello, I am hoping to find out how I can prove my lineage. You see I have a problem. I was a love child. In other words, my mother was married but separated when she met my father who was native american. In saying this I was born in Oklahoma at a catholic hospital and my mom was told at that time she would have to put her husbands last name on my birth certificate. So, I know who my real father was, my brother and sisters all have DIB cards, and I cant get one because of the last name on my birth certificate. What can I do? I even did a DNA test that shows I am almost 40% Native and 60% European. If anyone knows what I can do to prove my heritage I would greatly appreciate it.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 9, 2013

i don’t know. apparently there is no birth record of your father being your father. can you think of anything that your father did to affirm that you were her child? or anything where your mother said that you were his child?

did you ask the tribe this question? i don’t think they read this messageboard.

btw, a DNA test would show a pretty strong match between you and your siblings. but i don’t know that any tribe accepts DNA tests because of their lack of specificity about particular ancestors. i use DNA testing when i do some family genealogy and i can tell you that finding particular relatives from the matches is a process.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Dee Caster Dee Caster

posted on June 10, 2013

Hello Suzanne, thanks for responding. Yes my father knew I was his because my brother and my sisters were always told he had another child by my mother. He had told my mother to take me to a church in his home town to have me baptized as his child on a certain day but my mother did not take me there. My mother is the person who told me who my real father was. I have not ask the tribe the question, where would I do that? Also, all of my mothers side of the family knew who my real father was.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 11, 2013

unfortunately, it sounds like you don’t have documents about your father being your parent.

click on services, then department, then look for the enrollment department. they would be the ones that you would ask.

i’m sorry that you are having this problem.

suzanne hamlet shatto