Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997
about Robert Douglas Jr. Melton
Name: Robert Douglas Jr. Melton
Date of Birth: 27 Sep 1946
Birth County: Dallas
Father’s Name: Robert Douglas Melton
Mother’s Name: Jewel Helen Smith
Roll Number: 1946_0008

you didn’t give a location, spouse or children, so i don’t have much information to start on.

this name is very common.
since he was born after the dawes roll, i can’t tell whether he might be listed on the tribal roll. i was hoping to find his parents but there were too many robert melton records for me to guess which one might be your relative.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search:
http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.

http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Eartha Turner Eartha Turner

posted on March 29, 2011

Yes this is the son why can’t we find my grand father he was born in ok in 1914 they said his father name was Charlie Melton but I dont belive that we can never find him in the house. please help us

posted on March 29, 2011

It’s like he is a gost we was told that his mother gave him away I think he had a sister and brother but i dont think so becaue we cant find him. no were

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on March 30, 2011

childrens’ records point to the parents.
have you tried the obituary of the child, robert douglas melton jr. you should be able to get that through interlibrary loan, see your local public library for that.

do you have the senior robert douglas melton’s social security application? this would list the parents.

how about the birth certificate for robert douglas melton jr.

if you have no documents on the parent, you need documents on the child. it sounds as if you don’t have documents on the child but you want to skip a generation and find the parent.

there may have been an informal adoption in the early 1900’s but since there is very little information on the children, i cannot imagine records on the parent.

that birth certificate in 1946 would show more information on robert douglas melton sr. what about the marriage license for jewell and robert douglas melton.

it is best to do genealogy one generation at a time.

i don’t know where you found the 1914 birthdate or who this birthdate belongs to. your information is very incomplete.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less.

posted on March 30, 2011

BB email her and tell her that you have roberts ss papers and it says Irene Fuller is his mother. But you do not believe it because in the bible at home it have a Elizabeth or a Catherine in it for his mother and the last name is Blair. Tell her he had 4 girls your mother Anetta, Wonda, Alva, and Janice who is still living. Also Robert said Charlie Melton was his father. And your aunt said that they live in the house with him when she was little. But we have his ss application and its says charlie Melton is his father but we can never find him with his mother or father

posted on March 30, 2011

Robert was the father was born 03-14-1914 but the ss application says 1915 . Why is he a gost robert Douglas melton 03-14-1914 or 1915 died 1975 dallas texas I remember my grandfather.

posted on March 30, 2011

What does it mean the son Robert douglas Melton Jr. has a Roll Number: 1946_0008 what does that mean

posted on March 30, 2011

Becasue I call myself look at that roll Number and couldnt find it.

posted on March 30, 2011

Jewel Smith Dallas, Texas
robert Douglas melton Dallas, Texas Died says he was born in ok

posted on March 30, 2011

Please help us we know nothing on my grandfather and the little info we do have we always come to a end. 2143818003

posted on March 30, 2011

genealogy is a language and a way of doing things. it is not haphazard.

re: roll number that i posted before. that is a texas birth index roll number, probably a page # for that year. it is not a tribal roll number.

ok, he passed away in 1975, was born 1914-1915. this would mean that he had a social security application on file. i would advise you to get that. it will have names, dates, locations on it. he would have submitted a birth certificate or delayed birth certificate to show proof of age for social security. then you can get that.

if he was born in TX, it is unlikely that he applied for enrollment to a tribe in oklahoma. look at the texas tribes and see if he lived near a tribal area there.

so this must be one of his children:
about Melton
Name: Melton
Date of Birth: 18 Aug 1941
Father’s Name: Robert Melton
Mother’s Name: Jewell Helen Smith
Roll Number: 1941_0006

about Wanda James Melton
Name: Wanda James Melton
Date of Birth: 28 Jan 1943
Father’s Name: Robert Melton
Mother’s Name: Jewel Smith
Roll Number: 1943_0007

so do you have these birth certificates?
texas vital records
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/

maybe this is him:
Texas Death Index, 1903-2000
about Robert Melton
Name: Robert Melton
Death Date: 11 Mar 1975
Death County: Dallas
Social Security Death Index
about Robert Melton
Name: Robert Melton
SSN: 458-14-4541
Last Residence: 75204 Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
Born: 14 Mar 1914
Died: Mar 1975
State (Year) SSN issued: Texas (Before 1951)

you can order the social security application there this website:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

rootsweb also has family trees on worldconnect records (their trade name) and messageboards and websites for tribes, locations, surnames.

is this jewell?
Social Security Death Index
about Jewell Melton
Name: Jewell Melton
SSN: 454-38-5234
Last Residence: 75208 Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
Born: 21 Jun 1917
Died: May 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: Texas (Before 1951)

if they passed away in dallas, you might want to get their obituaries. the newspaper is likely the dallas morning news. see your local public library for this.

you are going to have to get some documents before you proceed.

posted on March 30, 2011

Yes that is him and he did have a death cert but no birth cert those other peoople are my aunts. We just cant find him on no cenuse other nothing about him and I dont belive Irene Was his mother or charlie was his father. Because he was never with them on the sensu.

posted on March 30, 2011

Yes that is him and he did have a death cert but no birth cert those other peoople are my aunts. We just cant find him on no cenuse other nothing about him and I dont belive Irene Was his mother or charlie was his father. Because he was never with them on the sensu.

posted on March 30, 2011

I got them as far as the newspaper I know they were not in the paper because they didnt have any money and we have been to the libary and every where and nothing. I am telling you it’s like he is a gost. He should be on the sense with Irene and Charlie other kids.

posted on March 30, 2011

Jewel Melton died in 1964

posted on March 31, 2011

We can not find a birth Cert on my grandfather Robert Douglas melton help please 2143818003

posted on March 31, 2011

1930 United States Federal Census
about Irene Milton
Name: Irene Milton
Home in 1930: Dallas, Dallas, Texas
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse’s Name: Charlie Milton
Race: Black

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents’ birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Charlie Milton 35
Irene Milton 32
Josephine Milton 12
Charles Milton
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Dallas, Dallas, Texas; Roll: 2315; Page: 27A; Enumeration District: 39; Image: 520.0.

all are b. TX. charlie was working as a laborer for a concrete company.

this is the only record i found. i don’t know if this is your relatives.

death notices ARE in the newspaper. sometimes an obituary. marriage licenses are in the newspaper too.

but you need to get the basic documents. online searching and guessing is not going to help you.

ok, here’s her death record
Melton Jewel Helen 11-06-1964 DALLAS F SEPAR/DIVORCED

about Irene Fuller
Date of Birth: 5 Apr 1941
Father’s Name: Charlie Melton
Mother’s Name: Irene Fuller
Roll Number: 1941_0006

could they have had a child almost 30 years after robert douglas melton was born?

posted on April 4, 2011

Please listen to me good Charlie Melton is suppose to be the father of my grandfather Robert Douglas Melton. My grandfather said on his ss# application that Irene Fuller and Charlie Melton who were married was his parents which I dont belive. My mother has in a bible that katherine Blair and Ejzah Blain was in the place of his maother in father in bible. We dont know we are going buy tnfo that my aunt gave us. She said they use to live in the house with Charlie and Irene and she said that they are sure that Charlie Melton is his daddy, Charlie was Married to a Minnie Melton and has a daughter name Ethel Melton on the 1920 we just want to find i grand daddy please help us 2142742515

posted on April 4, 2011

Please listen to me good Charlie Melton is suppose to be the father of my grandfather Robert Douglas Melton. My grandfather said on his ss# application that Irene Fuller and Charlie Melton who were married was his parents which I dont belive. My mother has in a bible that katherine Blair and Ejzah Blain was in the place of his maother in father in bible. We dont know we are going buy tnfo that my aunt gave us. She said they use to live in the house with Charlie and Irene and she said that they are sure that Charlie Melton is his daddy, Charlie was Married to a Minnie Melton and has a daughter name Ethel Melton on the 1920 we just want to find i grand daddy please help us 2142742515