Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Seeking Help On Charles D Oakes Family

bgreen bgreen

posted on September 14, 2010

He Was My GGGrandfather His Wife Margerant A Oakes My GGrandmother Mary E Phillips They Are Listed On Roll And Indian Cen. Please Trying To Get Information To Get Help From Choctaw For Medical And Housing.In 1920-30 Mary Listed My Grandmother Annamae Wynn And My Mother Betty J Duncan As halfbreed.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 14, 2010

this is a common name. no dates or locations in your post, which is a shame. i might be able to find something if i had more information.
charles d. oakes m. margaret
mary e. oakes? m1. phillips? m2. ? wynn?
annamae wynn?

no discussion about married/maiden names. no information about what you found in the census in 1920/1930.

maybe this is your charles:
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Oakes 78
Margrett Oakes 52
Martha Oakes 16
Florence Oakes 13
Leslie Smith 30
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Everidge, Choctaw, Oklahoma; Roll T625_1456; Page: 13A; Enumeration District: 62; Image: 66.
he was old enough to be in the civil war. you should look to see if he had a pension.
he was b. 1842 OK,, father b. NC, mother b. MS, is a farmer, owns the farm.
she was b. 1868 TN, parents b. TN
children b. OK
his parents might have gone on the trail of tears in the late 1830’s. her parents did not. if she is native, she might be mississippi choctaw or another tribe.
Dawes Card Information

tribe last first middle age sex blood card roll misc type
Choctaw Bucanan Ellen 0 F 1588 P
Choctaw Bucanan W C 0 M 1588 P
Choctaw Oakes Harrier N 0 F 1588 P
Choctaw Oakes Judia 0 F 1588 P
Choctaw Oakes Thomas W 0 M 1588 P
Choctaw Oakes Albert O 1 M 1/16 1588 4510 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Harriet 1 F 1/16 1588 4509 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Laura B 3 F 1/16 1588 4508 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Levana F 5 F 1/16 1588 4507 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Henry F 7 M 1/16 1588 4506 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes William W 9 M 1/16 1588 4505 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Annie M 13 F 1/4 1588 4504 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Christopher 15 M 1/4 1588 4503 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Margaret A 32 F IW 1588 IW82 GRANT BB
Choctaw Oakes Charles D 58 M 1/8 1588 4502 GRANT BB
iw=intermarried white, a general nontribal description
bb=by blood
p=parent
but i’m not seeing any mary in the childrens’ names and since this name is fairly common, i don’t know if this is your family.

you have to have names to be able to search. and you should have some dates, locations so that you can narrow this down.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search:
http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.

http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

bgreen bgreen

posted on September 28, 2010

Yes Please Send Resoures To Me, And Mary E Is Listed On The 1930 As Halfbreed With My Grangmother And Mother Annamae Duncan And Betty J Duncan As Her Daughter And Granddaughter. Thank You For Your Help!!

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 28, 2010

you should write my email address to get the choctaw email list. it is very long.

you know your family’s names and locations but i don’t.
is duncan a married name? how about phillips?

genealogy has a vocabulary.
genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouse to match records.

if you have a maiden name, and a spouse’s name, you can usually find people. children also help, especially with birthdate and birth location.

shamlet76@gmail.com