Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Wishing i knew more

Rach Rach

posted on September 14, 2010

Im trying to find out info on my ancestors. Looking for relatives to the “COMPELUBE” family or anyone who knows something.. My great grandma was Audrey ida compelube-gann. Her parents were Nicholas & Ethel mae Pace-Compelube. and nick’s dad was columbus compelube.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

i know there are several compelube relatives around because there have been a few inquiries for these people.
you give no dates, locations, children in this post. you’re using hyphens in the surnames and i don’t know exactly what this means. is it a maiden name? a married name?
i’m guessing:
columbus compelube>nicholas compelube m. ethel mae pace>audrey ida compelube m. ? gann.

Dawes Card Information

tribe last first middle age sex blood card roll misc type
Choctaw Compelube Betsy 0 F 4659 P
Choctaw Compelube J 0 M 4659 P
Choctaw Compelube Joshua 5 M 7/8 4659 NR MCALESTER BB
Choctaw Compelube Henry 9 M 7/8 4659 NR MCALESTER BB
Choctaw Compelube Nicholas 11 M 7/8 4659 NR MCALESTER BB
Choctaw Compelube Ellen 25 F 3/4 4659 NR MCALESTER BB
Choctaw Compelube Martin 27 M FB 4659 NR MCALESTER BB
Choctaw Compelube Columbus 37 M FB 4659 NR MCALESTER BB
Choctaw Presley Elsie 0 F 4659 P
Choctaw Presley Nicholas 0 M 4659 P

bb=by blood
p=parent
you can look on the dawes roll with oklahoma historical society and see the enrollment #.

2 ways to search:
http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.

http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

Household Members:
Name Age
Columbus Compellubee 49
Nancy Compellubee 30
Fred Compellubee 16
Joshua Compellubee 14
Nellie Compellubee 15
Minnie Compellubee 10
Bettes Compellubee 8
Martha Compellubee 6
Allen Compellubee 5
Thas Compellubee 3
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Bucklucksy, Pittsburg, Oklahoma; Roll T624_1269; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 212; Image: 701.

maybe this is your nicholas?
Household Members:
Name Age
William Compelubee 23
Ethel Compelubee 21

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Bucklucksy, Pittsburg, Oklahoma; Roll T624_1269; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 212; Image: 699.

Household Members:
Name Age
Cal Compelube 37
Ellen Compelube 25
Nicholas Compelube 12
Henry Compelube 9
John Compelube 5
Nancy Pusly 23
Fred Pusly 6
Nancy Pusly 8
Sally Pusly 19
Nellie Pusly 6
Martin Pusly 21
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 6, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll T623_1851; Enumeration District: 80.
you can correct the ancestry name index so that others can find your family.
Household Members:
Name Age
Nicholes Compelube 32
Ethel Compelube 30
Cecil Compelube 7
Jessee J Compelube 1
[1 6/12]
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Bucklecksy, Pittsburg, Oklahoma; Roll T625_1483; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 174; Image: 643.

Household Members:
Name Age
Fred J Compeluber 24
Nancy Compeluber 47
Minnie Compeluber 20
Martha Compeluber 18
Ellen Compeluber 15
Mary Compeluber 9
Cora Compeluber 4
[4 0/12]
Ruby Compeluber 2
[2 11/12]
Lena Compeluber 1
[1 2/12]
Thad Compeluber 14
Bennie Compelube 13
Chris Compelube 8
Hughes Compelube 7
Jote Compelube 3
[3 6/12]
Sallie Pusley 41
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Bucklecksy, Pittsburg, Oklahoma; Roll T625_1483; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 175; Image: 651.

i’m wondering if this is nicholas and wife?
Name: Nebale Compelube
Home in 1930: McAlester, Pittsburg, Oklahoma
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Oklahoma
Relation to Head of House: Son-in-Law
Spouse’s name: Ethel M Compelube
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents’ birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
George L Real 37
Laura J Real 19
Nebale Compelube 44
Ethel M Compelube 42
Essie M Compelube 18
Jane J Compelube 11
Dorth C Compelube 9
Christihe M Compelube 6
Andrew Compelube 3 8/12
Alva H Pace 21
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: McAlester, Pittsburg, Oklahoma; Roll 1926; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 39; Image: 816.0.

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Nicholas Compelube
Name: Nicholas Compelube
Social Security #: 443092623
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 26 Nov 1885
Death Date: 13 Oct 1958
Death Place: Kern
Mother’s Maiden Name: Pusley
Father’s Surname: Compelube

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Ethel M Compelube
Name: Ethel M Compelube
Social Security #: 551440969
Sex: Female
Birth Date: 24 Oct 1888
Death Date: 23 Apr 1967
Death Place: Kern
Mother’s Maiden Name: Earp

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Nicholas Compelube
Name: Nicholas Compelube
County: Pittsburg
State: Oklahoma
Birthplace: Indian Territory, Oklahoma;United States of America
Birth Date: 26 Nov 1886
Race: Indian (Native American)
FHL Roll Number: 1852070
DraftBoard: 1
this card is available for printing on ancestry.com

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Rach Rach

Thank you for your help. and yes the names after the hyphens are their married names. I recognize quite a few of the names on the stuff u added. i live in pittsburg co, okla. and thats where they were also. My great gma Audrey was born in 1927 and died in 1993. She’s the only one i knew anything about.

posted on September 15, 2010

if you go to ancestry.com and look on the family trees, there are 12 public trees with christopher columbus compelube married to nancy pusley with pictures.
if you don’t have access to ancestry.com, go to your local public library. they probably have a subscription.

genealogists usually enjoy hearing from cousins, exchanging information.

tammy l. gann-presley-knight tammy l. gann-presley-knight

posted on December 28, 2010 and updated on December 28, 2010

My name is tammy gann-knight.my great aunt was audrey compelube-gann.my grandmother was christine mcmurry compelube-gann(my grandmothers full name.).her siblings were:cecil,jesse,dorothy,audrey,&sev.brothers who died very young .audrey&christine married gann brothers.two of audreys children live in wasco,california.my email tammy687@gmail.com .ive been very interested in my own family history.exchange of info would be appreciated.

tammy l. gann-presley-knight tammy l. gann-presley-knight

posted on February 22, 2011

I am pleased to think we are cousins.audrey compellube was my great aunt.our info so far is the exact match.we do have very old family photos.my e- mail is:tammy687@gmail.com

Jessica Jessica

posted on January 14

My great grandfather was John Leflore Sr. AKA John Compellebee. I believe this is a different spelling to your compellube or it was given to me mispelled. I am trying to find out why he would have two last names, He married Josephine Baker, any info would be greatly appreciated. One of his son’s went by otis Compellebee spelled this way.

posted on January 15

maybe you should correspond with the tribe directly. i don’t know why your ancestor might have two surnames.

go to the services tab, then the enrollment department. they might know.

suzanne hamlet shatto