Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

history-geneology

Brenda sweeney Brenda sweeney

posted on September 10, 2010

my great grandmother’s name was mollie patterson she was married to thomas sandford kitchen they resided at the choctaw indian nation in 1900 wondering if anyone can give me some information on this. thanks for any help

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 11, 2010

mollie patterson m. thomas sanford kitchen
no dates, no location, no children, no spouse in your post.
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas S Kitchen 35
Mollie E Kitchen 22
Nancy E Kitchen 21
John M Kitchen 4
Julius G Kitchen 2
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 8, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll T623_1850; Enumeration District: 74.
township 8 north, range 27 east

thomas was b. april 1865, age 35, married 2 years, b. GA, father b. IRELAND, mother b. SC, farmer, reads and writes, rents the farm
mollie, wife, white female, b. april 1878, age 22, married 2 years, had 0 chilren,, b.. AR, parents b. KY,, reads and writes
nancy e., daughter, white female, b. oct. 1888 age 21, single,, b. indian territory, father b. GA, mother b. MS, reads and writes
john m., son, white male, b. sept. 1896,, age 4,, single, b. indian territory, father b. GA,, mother b. MS
julius g., son,, white male, b. dec. 1897, age 2, single, b. indian territory,, father b. GA, mother b. MS

if they were married 2 years, and julius is 2 years old, his mother might have died in childbirth.

i don’t see them on the dawes roll, so they didn’t apply for enrollment to the tribe.

tribe last first middle age sex blood card roll misc type
Chickasaw Patterson James E 0 M D212 D
Chickasaw Patterson Leona 0 F D212 D
Chickasaw Patterson Mollie J 22 F IW D212 D
Chickasaw Ware Lizzie 0 F D212 D
Chickasaw Ware O M 0 M D212 D

this mollie was denied enrollment and designated as intermarried white, however that means they are not a tribal member. this mollie patterson appears to be married, so patterson is likely her married name.
CHOCTAW NATION MARRIAGES
GROOM INDEX
1890 – 1907

Transcribed by MARY TURNER KINARD
COPYRIGHT 27 APR 1992 Mary Kinard

Printed here with the Permission of J.D. Kinard and family for your personal use
NOT TO BE COPIES FOR USE IN ANY COLLECTION FOR PROFIT OR DISPLAY

K SURNAMES

FIVE FEDERAL COURTHOUSES IN CHOCTAW NATION AT – ATOKA, ATOKA CO. OK, get copy of marriage from LDS Library BR – DURANT, BRYAN CO. OK. get copy of marriage from Durant Lf – POTEAU, LEFLORE CO. OK get copy of marriage from Poteau Mc – McALESTER, PITSBURY CO. OK get copy of marriage from Indian Archives OKC WIL – WILBURTON, LATIMER CO. OK you may be able to get copy from Muskogee Ok CODES USED un – NOT USED nr – NO RETURN er – ERROR col – COLORED

GROOM AGE BRIDE AGE DATE RESIDENCE BOOK©PAGE
KITCHEN, THOMAS 34 PATTERSON, MOLLIE 18 3 MAY 1898 AR,SLATONVILLE LF©A©136

http://www.okgenweb.org/~okgarvin/kinard/chocmarriageindex.htm
LF – Leflore County Court Clerk
P.O. Box 688
Poteau, OK 74953
918-647-3181

$1.50 per copy
$5.00 search fee if search is needed

Household Members:
Name Age
T S Kitchens 45
Mallie Kitchens 33
John Kitchens 14
Grady Kitchens 12
Audy Kitchens 8
Ethel Kitchens 6
Leonard Kitchens 2
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Bradley, Grady, Oklahoma; Roll T624_1252; Page: 16A; Enumeration District: 91; Image: 813.

julius must be grady.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Grady Julian Kitchens
Name: Grady Julian Kitchens
County: Pittsburg
State: Oklahoma
Birth Date: 5 Dec 1897
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1852070
DraftBoard: 1
he lives with mollie may kitchens
this card is available on ancestry.com

Household Members:
Name Age
Thoma S Kitchens 56
Mollie Kitchens 44
and Kitchens 19
Ethel Kitchens 16
Leonard Kitchens 14
Lory Kitchens 12
Myrtle Kitchens 5
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Bradley, Grady, Oklahoma; Roll T625_1461; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 160; Image: 490.

i don’t know why the world war 1 draft card is in a different county. maybe there is a cousin with that name?

there was some displacement about that time. i know that my husband’s family moved from atoka county to pittsburg and then back again.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search: http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.

http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto