Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Am I considered part Choctaw?

Lauren Lauren

posted on November 3, 2012

Hi, my name is Lauren. I am twenty-one years old and recently began doing some research on my heritage. I was raised with a native american tribe called the Karuk in northern California, but my mother recently told me I am a little Choctaw/Cherokee. Here is what I found in interviewing my great grandmother and talking with cousins:

Apparently my relative who’s English name was John R. Dickins, was born in TN in 1814 or 1815, and shortly thereafter his family uprooted and moved farther south. During their move, John was kidnapped by the Cherokee as a young boy and held captive for 7 years. When he was older, he married a Choctaw woman and they had several children together.

John would disappear for months at a time to go live with the Indians he was raised with,and was said to have many friends among the Cherokee, and was in fact, an honorary Chief in one tribe. This honor was given to him for saving a Chief’s life by killing a cougar that was attacking the Chief at the time. They renamed him “Kosky” or “Rosokey”
For this action he also was made a “Blood Brother” by the cutting of arms and the mixing of blood.

His grave and tombstone is in Shadey Grove Cemetary, in AL.

THE DAILY MOBILE PRESS MARCH 25, 1885

DEATH OF AN INDIAN CHIEF.
JOHN R. DICKINS, OF DICKINS’ FERRY.
On Monday, John R. Dickins died at his residence at Dickins’ Ferry
on Dog River, about twenty-five miles from the city.
John R. Dickins was,and has been,for a score more years familiar to
the eyes of every man, woman and child in and about Mobile.
His life was an eventful one, and fraught with many
incidents and adventures of greater magnitude than are met with in
the lives of most men; but little is known,however,of the details
of his life.

He was a frequent visitor to this city, and always attracted attention
by his attire,which was the full dress of an Indian, consisting of
buckskin coat with breeches and leggins of the same material,
ornamented with beads and a buckskin cap,set off with feathers.
It has been his habit to visit to Indian Territory where he would
devote several months to visiting the different tribes and looking up
his friends. One peculiarity of these visits was that he would leave
home without the knowledge of his family, who never knew of his
whereabouts until his return. At the time of his death he held the
title of chief of the tribes.

So I am wondering since I am a descendent of “Kosky” and his Choctaw wife, if I am considered part Chactaw at all or if I count since it was so long ago…

Aisha Deersound Linole Aisha Deersound Linole

posted on November 5, 2012

depends more on your current life, like do you feel the spirit of the Choctaw strongly? have you always feel like you are native american? you love nature and stuff or are called by the spirits in nature? if so then i would say yes, you should look up the lore of the Choctaw and commune with the Dieties, feel their presence then you can knowyou are Choctaw, follow your heart!