Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation

how much percent

samantha samantha

posted on September 4, 2010

How much percent Choctaw would i have to be, to become a part of the Choctaw tribe?

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 4, 2010

you should talk to the genealogy advocate for the tribe. blood quantum is measured in fractions, like 1/2, 1/4, 5/8, 3/64.

if you are directly descended from an original enrollee of the tribe (as on the dawes roll), you should see which paperwork you would have to submit to get enrolled.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search:
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.
this will let you enter partial names to get card# and
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

samantha samantha

posted on September 5, 2010

through my research after research, i have found 2 or 3 people in the dawes roll with my Grandfathers name, but how would i find out exactly if that is him or not?
the ones ive found are:
Choctaw Moore James Henry 43 M 1/8 MCR1726 MCR


Choctaw Moore James 48 M FULL 1177 NR GOODWATER BB

im going to be requesting birth certificuts, from my dad and my grandmother, and of my great grandfather. i guess my real question is how do i tie the birth certificut of my great grandfather to the persons on the dawes roll?

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 5, 2010

get the birth certificates of your parents, grandmother (and her marriage license), and then your great grandfather.

your genealogy should go back to the 1896-1906 time period.
the last public census is 1930. find your family members in the 1930 census, then the 1920 census, then the 1910 census and then the 1900 census.
this should tell who you would expect to find on the dawes roll. so you will be looking for not only your ancestor but the family that he was in.

then go to the access genealogy website and find the names in a family group, with the same card# as your ancestor. you do this by entering the last name and first name and then going to the list of possibilities and clicking on the card# in the card column. this will show you all the people in the family group.
you will either see the people you expect to find in your family or not. if you don’t, go on to the next record and see if that one is a match.

if you find your family, you can get a copy of the application and census card from either the tribe,, or NARA fort worth office.
you should get a copy of this application even if your family was not enrolled because the heritage information will help you with your heritage.

if you find an ancestor that was enrolled, call the tribe and find out what documents you should submit. you only have to submit the documents that they don’t already have.

LeFlore/Gardner Descendant Debi LeFlore/Gardner Descendant Debi

posted on September 14, 2010

Can you give more information about the James Moore you are researching? A birth date or his parents names? Even his spouse’s name and/or his children’s names might help.

Terry Terry

posted on May 31, 2011

@Samantha, both men listed in your post were born in the 1860’s, chances are they dont have birth certicates and neither do their children (if born in mississippi).. so the next best thing are cenus records going back to the 1870’s and 1880’s..

In order to join a tribe, you need to prove that the information on the dawes census card matches census records- and that you have a direct connection to this person/family..

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on May 31, 2011

if you get stuck on someone who was alive after 1/1/1937, they submitted a social security application. in order to show proof of age, they submitted birth certificates or delayed birth certificates. you have to ask for both documents, in this case.

if the person was enrolled, they would have supplied a birth record with the enrollment process.

of those natives, check accessgenealogy (link given previously) and click on the card # to see the family members in that family group. this can help you decide which one might be your relative. the chances are good that younger people were listed in this family group.

Helene L Ramos Helene L Ramos

posted on August 19, 2014

I’m researching for my husband. I’m kind of at a dead end. His ancestors have an MCR number MCR1350. The father, Sylvestor P Sims, shows 1/8. The older parents who have more Indian blood were dead before the rolls were compiled. Also, I was wondering what percentage of Indian blood is the cut off to be even considered to register. Thx

rayson allen rayson allen

posted on August 22, 2014

This reply is for Helene L Ramos:
The Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma has no minimum of blood quantum required to become a member. However, you must prove you are a direct descendant from an original enrollee on the Dawes Rolls. To be placed on those Rolls, one must have been accepted by the Choctaw Nation Commission operating at that time (1896 – 1906) The MCR classification stands for “Mississippi Choctaw Refused” which means Sylvester P. Sims application (MCR 1350) was rejected. There have been some appeals for MCR recipients but few have been accepted by the Choctaw Nation.
The info on Card MCR 1350 is thus:
Sylvester P Sims, claims 1/8 Choctaw
wife was Lou A Hanna, white woman
Father was Isham Sims, white man
Mother was Martha Ellen(Hatchett)Sims, alleged
1/2 Choctaw, who supposedly was living in Mississippi in 1830 and moved to Texas in 1835.
Testimony taken at Atoka, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory January 30, 1901. This family from Red Rock, Bastrop County, Texas.
NOTE: You may be eligible to enroll in the Mississippi Choctaw Tribe of Philadelphia, Mississippi rather than trying to enroll in the Choctaw Tribe of Oklahoma.