Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Florence M. Phillips m. James Lee Taylor, Choctaw Nation

Clydene Clydene

posted on September 4, 2010

My Grandmother’s parents were James Lee and Florence M. Phillips Taylor, I doubt that Florence M. Phillips was ever enrolled, although she was NA, because she was born 1858 in Poinsett Co., AR. At some point in time Florence M. Phillips was in the Choctaw Nation and married first to an A. Williams. She had one son by him named William D. “Willie” Williams. Florence then married James Lee Taylor, Choctaw, and he raised William D. Williams as his own. His half sister is my Grandmother, Katy Lee Taylor.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Florence M. Phillips or her husband James Lee Taylor who resided at Hunter Twp. near Boswell, OK of today? They also lived in Lamar Co., TX at one time. James Lee Taylor worked for the RR as a tiemaker in Choctaw Co., IT/OK.

Any help is appreciated.

attached:

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

james lee taylor m.florence m. phillips b. 1858 AR (m1. a. williams>william d. williams)>katy lee taylor b.~1889

no exact birthdate for katy lee taylor nor a name for her spouse. no date of death for any of these people. no date of birth for william williams. no location in the indian territory or oklahoma for these people. no documents cited in your post. genealogists use names, dates, locations, children, spouse to match records. when you have a common surname, more information helps narrow down the possibilities.

if james taylor worked for the railroad, there might be a pension record for him there.

Name Age
James L Taylor 48
Florence M Taylor 41
William D Taylor 13
Annie M Taylor 11
Katie L Taylor 10
Solomon C Taylor 7
Martha E Taylor 2
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 6, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll T623_1852; Enumeration District: 114.
township 6 south, range 12 east

i’m having trouble finding the family in 1910, but william, katie and annie might have been married by this time. it’s possible solomon was also. john and florence might not be alive. since i don’t know your family history, i cannot narrow this down further.

solomon taylor, head, white male, b. jan/june 1823 age 77 married 26 years, b. georgia, parents b. georgia, farmer, reads and writes, rents the farm.
susan s. taylor, wife, white female, b. may 1848, age 52, married 26 years, has no children, b. texas, parents b. arkansas, doesn’t read or write (probably a second wife?), speaks english
sarah m., daughter, white female, b. october 1848, age 51, single, b. AL, father b. georgia, mother b. virginia, servant, reads but doesn’t write
this household lives next door to james l. taylor’s household. i notice the mother’s birthplace for sarah matches james’s mother’s birthplace.

james l. taylor,, head, white male, b. april 1852, age 48, married 12 years, b. AL, father b. GA, mother b. VA,, farmer, reads and writes, rents the farm
florence m., wife, white female, b. sept. 1858, age 41, married 12 years, had 9 children but only 5 survive, b. AR, parents b. GA, reads and writes
william d. taylor, son, white male, b. july 1886, age 14, single, b. indian territory, farm laborer, doesn’t read or write, speaks english
annie m., daughter, white female, b. jan/june 1888, age 11?, single, b. indian territory, servant, doesn’t read or write, speaks english
katie l, daughter, white female, b. sept. 1889, age 10, single, b. indian territory, doesn’t read or write, speaks english, servant
solomon c., son, white male, b. march 1891, age 9, single, b. indian territory
martha, daughter, white female, b. aug. 1897, age 2, single, b. indian territory

since james was born in AL, you should look also at the mississippi choctaw tribe and the MOWA tribe.
arkansas territory included indian territory, so florence might have been born in indian territory/oklahoma. oklahoma became a state in 1907.
since florence’s parents were b. GA, she might have been choctaw or mississippi choctaw. chickasaw, cherokee and choctaw were also in that area, but she might have lived off-reservation.
the trail of tears was in the late 1830’s, significant because of the birthdate of florence.
since they were married 12 years, you should look for a marriage record in arkansas or indian territory.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

2 ways to search: http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes/index.php
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma records listed at left.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
this will let you enter partial names to get card#
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

i found another record, but none for the 1880 census. she might have moved into indian territory, i don’t know.\

Name: Florrence Phillips
Age in 1860: 1
Birth Year: abt 1859
Birthplace: Arkansas
Home in 1860: Bolivar, Poinsett, Arkansas
Post Office: Cold Water
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members:
Name Age
J S Phillips 35
Martha Phillips 28
John Phillips 10
Sultania Phillips 8
Rufus Phillips 6
Florrence Phillips 1
Green B Phillips 23
Mary Ann Cook 15

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Bolivar, Poinsett, Arkansas; Roll

M653_48; Page: 592; Image: 62; Family History Library Film: 803048.
i reported this census page for being unreadable on ancestry.com. they usually take

a month or two to improve it. there might be a better copy on heritage quest, which

you might be able to access through your local public library.
it appears that green phillips might be a brother of john, b. GA.
mary ann cook is a domestic.
john is a farmer, born GA.
florence is b. AR but i don’t know if the other children are b. GA or AR.

you can correct a name entry on ancestry.com so that others can find your family.
you might check and see if there’s a choctaw scrip land grant for this family in GA

or MS or AL. they might be mississippi choctaw.

post office harrisburg:
Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Bolivar, Poinsett, Arkansas; Roll

M593_60; Page: 258B; Image: 514; Family History Library Film: 545559.
Name Age
James Phillips 46
Martha Phillips 39
Sultanna Phillips 16
Florance Phillips 11
George W Phillips 7
Grant Phillips 2
james is a farmer, owns $200 real estate, $300 personal property. sultanna, martha

and james are b. GA.
florence, george w., and grant are b. AR.

they live in west prairie:
Name Age
John P. Phillips 56
Martha A. Phillips 49
George A. Phillips 16
Grant Phillips 12
Daniel Cook 21
Alming Phillips 23
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: West Prairie, Poinsett, Arkansas; Roll 53; Family History Film: 1254053; Page: 494C; Enumeration District: 243; Image: 0778.
john was the census enumerator for this page.
he’s a farmer, b. GA, father b. NC, mother b. SC
martha a, wife, keeping house, b. GA, parents b. GA
george a., age 16, son, single, working on the farm, b. AR
grant, age 12, son, single, working on the farm, b. AR
daniel cook, white male, age 21, nephew, working on the farm, b. AR, parents b. AR
alming? phillips, white female, age 23, niece, widowed, keeping house, b. AL, father b. AL, mother b. SC

there is a williams familly and a phillips family on this page too.