Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Adopted Out in 1988, Looking for Realitives. Daughter of Dianna Lee Burghart and Michael James (L) Culver.

Brit Reed Brit Reed

posted on October 2, 2012

My name is Brit Reed. I was adopted out at 5 months of age in 1988. I am looking for my relatives or any information about them.
At the moment I am not enrolled.

My maternal grandparents are Mary Elaine Burghart and Tom Henry Burghart. I am the daughter of Dianna Lee Burghart and Michael James (L) Culver.
My maternal grandfather died in June of 1982 and my father Michael James (L) Culver died on November 30, 1998.
My father belonged to the 22 Division U.S.S. LaSalle (AGF-3)/FPO.
My mother has 2 siblings. My father also had 2 siblings as of 1988.

I also have a half sibling by my father as well.

It is possible that I am also related to Edward L. Culver born 06/10/42 and died 12/30/98. It’s also possible that I am related to John Carl Culver 11/10/37-8/17/2007.

The description of my parents in my adoption papers say:

“At the time of your birth your birth mother was 20 years old. She had dark brown, curly hair which she wore in a long style. She had green eyes and fair to medium skin tone. She was 5 feet, 5 inches tall, and weighed 195 pounds. At the time I knew your birth mother she had completed one year of college and she was enrolled into art school. Hear heritage included German, Irish, Russian, English, and American Indian (Choctaw and Sioux) ancestry.

Your birthmother worked hard while in art school, studying throughout her pregnancy. She was living with friends at the time and helped them in their business. She was a rather quiet person, always courteous and patient. I especially enjoyed her sense of humor. Your birthmother was good with dogs and she also trained horses.

Your birthfather was 22 years old at the time of your birth. He had thick, black hair and a dark complexion. He was 5 feet, 7 inches to 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighed about 180 pounds. He had brown eyes that sometimes appeared green. He was a dancer and a gymnast. Because of these activities, his legs were very muscular. Your birthfather’s father was hoctaw and his mother was half Black and half Anglo.

Your birth father had also studied at the same college as your birthmother attended (East Oklahoma A&M). At the time you were born, he was on sea duty with the Navy. He was unaware of your birth until he was notified in April 1989. Since it was difficult to locate your birthfather, your adoptive placement was delayed."

At the time I was adopted, my mother was living in Arlington, Texas but grew up around Miami, OK. My father also grew up around the area of Miami, OK (from what I can glean from the adoption papers.) In 2006, my mother was living in/around Geary, Ok.

Attached to this post is a current photo of myself.

If anyone has any information, please contact me at reebri05@gmail.com.

thanks!

Brit Reed

attached:

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on October 3, 2012

nice picture.

since you are adopted, i am sure that you are looking for relatives at least as much as looking for tribal affiliation. first of all, native heritage and native enrollment are two different topics.

in my opinion, you should contact the tribe to see if either of your parents were enrolled in the choctaw tribe and the cherokee tribe.
http://www.choctawnation.com/services/departments/

you might want to get a copy of your father’s social security application with a SS-5.

Social Security Death Index about Michael J. Culver
Name: Michael J. Culver
SSN: 447-72-7880
Last Residence: 74119 Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States of America
Born: 20 Oct 1967
Died: 29 Nov 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: Oklahoma (1976-1977)

you probably want a copy of his obituary. see your local public library/interlibrary loan for that.
CULVER, Michael; 31; newspaper Tulsa World (OK); 1998-12-1

john carl culver’s obituary:
http://www.choctawnation.com/history/obituaries/c/john-carl-culver/

John Carl Culver

Born: 11/10/1937

Died: 8/17/2007

Maiden Name: n/a

Honorific: n/a

John Carl Culver passed away August 17, 2007. He was born November 10, 1937, in Pryor to Nancy Voncille Sumpter and Leonard