Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Looking for Roll Numbers for my family, although I do have a CDIB and Membership card.

Sarah Turner Sarah Turner

posted on September 13, 2012

My name is Sarah Turner, and I currently have my CDIB and Membership through the Choctaw tribe. I need to enroll my daughter as well, but I don’t know how to go about it or get our roll numbers to have them.

My date of birth is 06-22-1990.
My father is William Henry Turner
06-03-1956? !95*?
My mother is Candace Elizabeth Kiser
09-24-1970

My indian heritage came from my father’s side only as far as I know. I would like a little more information on that side of the family as well too if anyone has any.
His mother was Ruthie Irene Moseley (may have been Mosley) and father was Elmer Rains Turner. I don’t have positive dates of births/deaths on either at this moment but can get them soon. They also had several other children including my dad. David Turner, Robert Turner, Dean Turner and Susie Turner. I am not positive of these dates of birth either.

Any help, PLEASE?!

posted on September 15, 2012

Needing this information as soon as possible so I can get my daughter her card… Any help or anything??

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 15, 2012

i replied to this post on the general discussion messageboard. you left posts on both the genealogy messageboard and the general discussion messageboard.

posted on September 22, 2012

That is my family!

What do I need to put down as my roll numbers/dawes numbers? I am completely oblivious to all of this, as you can tell.

you should probably contact the tribe about that. the names are fairly common and you don’t want to make a mistake with that. the tribe knows the enrollment #’s.

i don’t know hazel’s or callie’s maiden name.
one record says callie’s maiden name is steelman and another says it is earl.

California L “Callie” Steelman
Birth 2 January 1875 in Texas, USA
Death 28 October 1958

California M. Earls
Birth 2 Jan 1876 in Texas
Death 28 Oct 1958 in Johnston County, Oklahoma, USA

i start with the death and work backwards. you will have to contact oklahoma vital records to get the death certificate, then you can order the birth certificate when you have the right information.

when you get down to requesting birth records before 1930, you should also ask for a delayed birth certificate. when social security went into effect 1/1/1937, people had to submit a birth record to show proof of age. many people didn’t have birth certificates so they had to file for a delayed birth certificate.

i don’t know if henry turner is listed on the dawes roll as cherokee.

i don’t see anything for robert mosley.

I believe Callie’s maiden name was Steelman. I know nothing about Hazel or Robert though, like DOB or DOD’s, etc.

posted on September 22, 2012 and updated on September 22, 2012

Callie L. Steelman was my grandfather’s (Elmer Turner) mother. That was for sure her maiden name. And from what my father has said, he doesn’t believe that his mother’s side (Ruth Mosley-Turner) ever enrolled of that the have roll numbers. So to my understanding it was strictly though California Steelman to my grandfather Elmer Rains Turner on to my father William Henry Turner.

posted on September 23, 2012

i do not see a record for callie steelman on the dawes roll.
you should contact the tribe.

What about her husband? Henry Turner?
I know we have some link to the Choctaw Tribe because I have had a CDIB all of my life as well as my membership card and my father and half sister do as well… I just don’t know where it comes from.

the only henry turner on the dawes roll is cherokee.
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php

posted on October 2, 2012

Alright, perhaps I am confused. From what my Mother has told me, she was under the impression that my Grandmother was the one with the Roll Number. (I’m not 100% sure if she actually had one or if she just had all the information and thats what gave my mother that impression).

What all websites would I need to research the Dawes and to look into the family? And if I called the tribe, who would I need to speak to?

Thank you so much for your time and effort, I appreciate it greatly.

try the enrollment department here for contacting the tribe.
http://www.choctawnation.com/services/departments/

if you already have a tribal membership card, you can get the correct information from the tribe. this is what you should do first.

for those people who do not yet have a card, you should research the 1900-1940 census to know approximate dates of birth, birthplaces, family members. this will also tell you if someone is more likely to be on the freedman roll or as applicants to the dawes roll taken 1896-1906 in indian territory/oklahoma for the five major tribes.

applicants can be found here:
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
partial names are ok.
when you find a possible name, then click on the card# in the card column to see the family group. if it is your family group, and they were likely enrolled, then you can search the oklahoma historical society’s dawes roll link to get the enrollment #’s for particular family members.
http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes

if your family was enrolled by council action early in the process or was enrolled by lawsuit, they might not appear on the oklahoma historical society website. you would have to check with the tribe on that.

even if your family was rejected by the dawes process, you may want the testimony, census card, application information for your genealogical purposes.

the federal census will also help you decide which state to contact for vital records.

Alright. Well I have my CDIB and membership card, have had them as long as I can remember. All of my dad’s siblings (and whatever other part of the family) have all of theirs as well. And my father and I are both employed by the Choctaw Nation. I just need to have my daughter enrolled so that I can enroll her for her first year of school next year through the Choctaw program. Thank you so much for your help. I

posted on October 2, 2012 and updated on October 2, 2012

many freedmen links on this webpage:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ewyatt/_borders/

i am just completing the loop here and putting a freedman link up.

i know that this has nothing to do with sarah’s question.

Debra Bennett Burnham Debra Bennett Burnham

posted on October 4, 2012

your daughter would go off your roll number off your card and if she is and adult she still would list you as her mother and apply your card number to her app. and if she has childern you and or her can list the children as soon as they are born so you do not have to worry about this with them

posted on October 4, 2012

Thank you Debra. My daughter is just now 2, but the headstart will stop accepting applications for next year sometime this winter. I can’t find my roll numbers so I don’t know how to enroll her was my main issue for now.

posted on October 9, 2012

How would I look up my Great Grandmother’s maiden name? Ruth Irene Turner (Mosley)’s mother, Hazel Mosley? Married to Robert Mosley, and had Ruth and Hugh.

i am confused because you have more than one post on this topic. when you post, you need more information, such as birthdate/location.

this is a common name.

it is possible that you need to collect more documents of the people in your line, such as census information, birth (or delayed birth) and death certificates.

posted on October 9, 2012 and updated on October 9, 2012

Ruthie Irene Mosley. (Married to Elmer Rains Turner, DOB 5-10-1915, DOD 1-28-2005).
Ruth Irene Mosley (Turner)=
DOB 4-13-1921 Wapanucka, Johnston County, OK.
DOD 1-10-2005 Atoka, Atoka County, OK.

Parents were Robert (DOB, about 1898) & Hazel Mosley.
Do not know Hazel’s maiden name, DOB, DOD or place of birth. How would I find it?

Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Mosley 32
Hazel Mosley 30
Hugh Mosley 8
Ruth Mosley 3
[3 1/12]
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Willis, Marshall, Oklahoma; Roll: 1915; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 11; Image: 187.0; FHL microfilm: 2341649.

So my main point/question is, where would I find information on Hazel Mosley? Maiden name, dob/dod, etc. And if she was enrolled on the Dawes or if Robert Mosley may have been? But more importantly, HER information. Maiden name, DOB/DOD, place of birth, family, whatever is useful.

do you have ruthie’s death certificate or obituary?
do you have hazel’s death certificate or obituary?

they would also be on hazel’s social security application. you can get a copy of that by filing an SS-5 form.

1930 United States Federal Census about Hazel Mosley
Name: Hazel Mosley
Birth Year: abt 1900
Birthplace: Oklahoma
Race: White
Home in 1930: Willis, Marshall, Oklahoma
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse’s Name: Robert Mosley
Father’s Birthplace: Texas
Mother’s Birthplace: Texas

since her parents were b. TX, and TX was not on the trail of tears, she probably is not listed on the dawes roll. she could be mississippi choctaw or another tribe in oklahoma. the dawes roll only shows applicants to the five major tribes in oklahoma but there are 63 tribes in oklahoma.

the census shows she was likely married around 1921.

a birth certificate or delayed birth certificate for ruth would also show their mother’s maiden name.

is there a cemetery record for hazel or ruth on findagrave.com or interment.net?

i don’t see robert mosley on the dawes roll either. this is not surprising because both robert and hazel indicate there are strong texas ties.

in other words, you need to get some documents to tell you where you might look for census information and tribes. there is a limit about what easy online information can tell you.

suzanne hamlet shatto