Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Looking for help in locating Gibson and/or Caldwell lineage in Oklahoma

Kim Lee Kim Lee

posted on August 25, 2010

I’ve been trying to research some family heritage on my children’s father’s side. The hard part is their grandmother was born at home with a midwife. She didn’t have a SS# until later in life and only had to have her siblings prepare a letter stating they were there during the delivery and were witnesses. So to prove the lineage is hard. This is what I have this far:

William “Bill” Caldwell – born 1899, passed 1986 in Boswell, Ok
Spouse – Grace B. Satterfield born 1916, passed 1964 in CA (they divorced sometime between 1945-1953)
Grace Satterfield former husband – last name Hamilton
Children of William & Grace – Loetta Faye Caldwell born 4/1/44
Sibling from Hamilton marriage – Frances Hamilton, Norma Jean Hamilton, Barden Hamilton May have also lived in Atoka County during 1938-1946 time.

William Caldwell is suppose to be under his grandmother’s roll #. They can only remember it to be Roll #52
Grandmother name – Rachel Gibson, spouse James Gibson

I’m told they may have been part of the Choctaw Indians that decended from Mississippi to Oklahoma.
I believe I may have the correct SS Application for William Caldwell but it doesn’t list his parents name.

Any help or direction would be great. Thank you!

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on August 26, 2010

you are describing a delayed birth certificate that she filed in order to prove her age for social security. there is nothing wrong with this document and it will give you additional names. it also gives you her maiden name, where she was born and when. it gives her parents’ names.

you will have to contact the tribe to ask about the william caldwell roll#, and rachel and james gibson roll#.

william caldwell also woulld have filed a social security application 1/1/1937. you didn’t include his birthplace.

these are all common names, so you need as much information as possible: names, locations, children, spouses, dates.

do you have an obituary? death certificate? often these documents can help you. you do need a copy of the birth certificate and marriage license. the divorce papers will probably tell you when and where they were married.

1930 United States Federal Census
about Grace B Satterfield
Name: Grace B Satterfield
Home in 1930: Stringtown, Atoka, Oklahoma
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1916
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father’s Name: Clum
Mother’s Name: Ola V
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents’ birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Clum Satterfield 41
Ola V Satterfield 26
Roy A Satterfield 19
Grace B Satterfield 14
Brulie J Satterfield 6
Lorane N Satterfield 3
Opal T Satterfield 1
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Stringtown, Atoka, Oklahoma; Roll 1893; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 15; Image: 84.0.
clum b. 1888 TX, parents b.MO. he rents the house. he’s a farmer. he was first married age 19.
she was b. 1904 OK, first married at age 17. she is of the chickasaw nation.
roy b. ~1911 AR.. the other children b. OK., with grace b. 1916 OK.

i wonder if this is the father:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Columbus Satterfield
Name: Columbus Satterfield
Home in 1900: Township 4, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory
Birthplace: Indian Territory, Oklahoma
Race: White
Relationship to Head of House: Son
Father’s Name: John
Mother’s Name: Azilee
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Sutterfield 43
Azilee Satterfield 18
William Satterfield 21
Jake Satterfield 12
Columbus Satterfield 10
Ida Satterfield 9
Thomas Satterfield 6
Lilly Satterfield 3
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 4, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll T623_1846; Enumeration District: 120.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Kim Lee Kim Lee

Thank you for the information. I did pull a copy of William Caldwell’s SS#, It doesn’t give parent information, nor does it give any place of birth. It shows a date his SS# was established as 1/16/1964 (when his was 65 years old?). William Caldwell is the path I need to take to continue with the Choctaw Heritage Line. I can’t even find a death record of him, but know his passed in Boswell OK. Would a roll number only be 2 digits?

i don’t think you have the social security application available from the social security administration. you probably have a copy of his entry on the social security death index 1964-present. you have to send the SS-5 letter to social security to get that.

the social security application is not available online. only the index is available online.

the california death index 1940-1997 is available online but you can get a copy of the california death certificate by contacting california.
Use the information below to obtain a copy of a death certificate from California.

California Department of Health Services
Office of Vital Records
M.S. 5103
P.O. Box 997410
Sacramento, CA 95899-7410

Please visit the following web site to obtain the necessary forms and current pricing information: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/CHS/Pages/default.aspx

i think we are talking about different resources. death indexes do not replace the documents that they index. for instance, grace should appear on the california death index 1940-1997. but i don’t know what grace’s name was at the time of death, where or when she passed away.
you should be able to get a copy of both bill and grace’s with social security application too.

a roll # might be two digits. but this is #52 on the choctaw tribe dawes roll:
Choctaw Isom Rosie 6 F FULL MCR2301 52 MCR
Choctaw Roberts Joshua 1 M FULL M88 52 HUGO M
Choctaw West Allen 5 M 1/16 31 52 NEWTON BB

as you see none of them are your relative.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/finalroll.php
this is the dawes roll website.

Kim Lee Kim Lee

Thank you… I will try to get the actual Social Sec. application & death certs for more complete information. One other question I do have, on the Dawes Roll, under #52 I pulled up under misc. (far right column) it ref’s FTGibson. what does the information under Misc. mean? It does reflect Gibson so I wasn’t sure if Joshua Roberts was tied to the Gibson line?

the misc. column on the dawes roll website often means where they were living at the time.
http://www.okhistory.org/outreach/military/fortgibson.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Gibson