Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Looking for info on George Davis and Martha James

Steve Henson Steve Henson

posted on August 25, 2010

George Davis was my great-great-g’father. Martha James was his mother. Martha was the cousin of Bacey Folsom and a relative of Governor Robert Jones.

George Davis’ son was Alfred W. Davis, roll #10198. I’m looking for information on George Davis and Martha James. They lived in and around Caddo, I. T. Any information would be appreciated.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

do you have a copy of the census card and application for enrollment. this might give you more information on george davis and martha james. you might try to find testimony for the dawes application.

i am a little lost, since you don’t have much information on any of these people, such a location, dates, children and spouse. and these are common names, so you need more information, rather than less.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on August 25, 2010 and updated on August 25, 2010

Thanks for the response Suzanne. My g-g’father was enrolled on card #3610, along with two of his children. His mother’s name was Mary Seago, but she was not Choctaw. I have found ancestry info on her going back to the first ancestor born in America, abt 1715.

Two other siblings of my g-g’father were enrolled as well on differnt cards. Their names were Amanda Damron and Charley L. Davis. Mary Seago remarried after my g-g’father died and was enrolled as intermarried white as Mary Damron. (She married her daughter’s father-in-law). All of the registratrations occurred in Blue County with Caddo, I. T. as the nearest post office.

However, I have found almost nothing on George W. Davis. His birth year is 1843, but don’t have a year of death. He married in 1875, but had died by 1898. His name is on the enrollment card as my g-g’father’s father. I found the name of Marth James in an affidivat of Bacey Folsom, regarding the enrollment of my g-g’father and his two siblings. Bacey Folsom is also on the rolls as full blood. I’ve found the name Thomos James on records about her card. I don’t know if that’s a relative or not. I have no other information about Martha James.

Again, thanks for the reply. I’ll send an e-mail to you requesting the resource list.

it sounds as if you should get a copy of the enrollment applications of a few of these people. as you have noted, testimony has some heritage information.
you have mentioned names but no dates in your post.
is this your mary?
Charley W Damron 59
Mary Damron 56
Charley O Damron 14
Albert L Damron 14
Tampey C Damron 10
Georgia Damron 8
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Caddo, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll T623_1853; Enumeration District: 183.

you might see if there were any newspaper mentions of george. you will want to look for his grave too.
have you looked at the oklahoma pioneer papers? that might have some mention. they were created with WPA funding. they wanted to interview oldtimers, particularly natives.

take a look at the native census records.

i guess i’m just a little confused because i don’t know which name that people are known by. i don’t know the relation with bacey folsom.

i don’t know what the federal census records say about these people, when they migrated, when children were born and where. you seem to use maiden names and married names without designating which is which.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children, spouses in order to match records.

posted on August 26, 2010

Thanks Suzanne!!

That is my Mary Damron. She married Charles W. Damron and she was born in 1844, making her 56 in 1900. I did find a cemetery record saying she is buried at Pleasant Hill cemetery in Bryan county, but she is buried alone. There was no mention of George Davis. Since George died before 1900, he wouldn’t be on the 1900 census.

I know that George was born in 1843 and one record I found says he was from San Bois county. I haven’t found a date of death. I still know nothing about George’s parents other than his mother’s name was Martha James. I don’t have a father’s name. Bacey Folsom was Martha James cousin.

I have the enrollment packet from my g-g’father. My g’mother and a g’uncle are listed on it as well as my g-g’mother. My g-g’father was living in Blue county when he and my g’uncle were enrolled in 1900. They had moved to Antioch by the time my g’mother was enrolled in 1902. My g-g’mother was added to the intermarried roll in 1903. I found marriage records for my g-g’father and g-g’mother as well as Amanda Damron. I found a 1920 Garvin county record with the entire family listed.

As you suggested, there might be more information in the enrollment packets for Amanda Damron, Charley Davis and Bacey Folsom. There is a nat’l archives very near me. When I have time, I’ll go there and check it out. I’ll also work thru the resource list.

Thanks again for your help.

posted on August 26, 2010

this mary was b. july 1843 AR and charley was b. nov. 1840 or 1841 TN. most of the children had been born in TN except georgie was b. oct. 1890 TX.
that’s quite a range of migration.

Jennifer Mieirs Jennifer Mieirs

posted on August 11, 2011

Steve I am very interested in this family. I read another of Bacie’s testimonies where she says her father Thomas James’ mother was a Jones, and that is how she and Robert M. Jones (and Martha James Davis) are cousins. I do not know if this mother was Robert’s sister or an Aunt.

I also know that Robert M. Jones’ mother was my ancestor’s half sister. His mother’s full sister was Mary or Molly, she was the mother of James L. McDonald. Based on a letter written by Jones in 1830, he mentions old Uncle Sam Jones had just died, and the armstrong rolls has Samuel Jones Sr having died since the treaty. From various sources I know John Jones and Samuel Jones were brothers, and there was also a William Jones about the same age who had an Adult daughter (went “crazy” when the missionaries told her she wouldn’t see her heathen relatives in heaven, it was written like 1828)… so…John Jones Sr was the husband of my ancestor (second, no kids)… anyhow. I know some about the Jones’ but the more I know the more questions I have.
You can find me on facebook (I am the only Jennifer Mieirs) or on my website
http://jenniferhsrn2.homestead.com

My email is on the site, Thanks

Richard Blanton Richard Blanton

posted on June 23, 2012

I’m curious about your George Davis James. There is a George Davis James born 20 Jan 1888 married to Lillie Fouts then to Clara Jones. His parents were Davis James born around 1860 (possibly also George Davis James) married to Mary McKinney.

There is another Davis James who died in the 1850s buried in Skullyville Cemetery. I have often wondered is there is another Davis James between this one in the cemetery and our Davis James born in 1860.

I posted a series of queries recently along with a Gen Report from my database. Any thoughts on a connection back in early 1800s?