Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Julia Althea Callway

Katie Jacobs Katie Jacobs

posted on August 23, 2010

Looking to find the birth parents of Julia Althea Callaway (my great grandmother). My grandfather (Charles Roy Heaton) told me that she was adopted by George D Callaway and Nora Bell Lenhart (maiden name). According to the 1900 Census Julia was born in 1897 in Missouri, but lived in Coalgate Twp, Oklahoma. Does any one know anything about how to access adoption decrees for people living pre 1900s or does anyone know anything about Julia Althea Callaway (later went by Althea Heaton after marrying Clarence B. Heaton)? My grandfather also said that she had a brother named Lawrence that was adopted by the same family.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on August 23, 2010

julia althea adopted name callaway b. july 1897 MO m. clarence b. heaton
charles roy heaton

unfortunately there were several unofficial adoptions at the time. you should probably contact both missouri and oklahoma adoption coordinators and find out if they know of an adoption.

1900 United States Federal Census
about Julia A Callaway
Name: Julia A Callaway
Home in 1900: Coalgate, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
Birthplace: Missouri
Race: White
Relationship to Head of House: Daughter
Father’s Name: Cora
Mother’s Name: Nora B
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Cora Callaway 32
Nora B Callaway 26
Richard D Callaway 5
Julia A Callaway 2
Julia A Callaway 75
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Coalgate, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; Roll T623_1852; Enumeration District: 104.

oklahoma became a state in 1907. before that, it was known as indian territory.

this resource might help you. missouri state archives
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/ordb.asp

the problem is that julia might not be her birth name.

you can try her social security application. she might have known her parents’ names. she might have filed a delayed birth certificate which might help you too.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married name and designate which one is the maiden name.

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or 4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
http://choctawnation.com/services/departments/community-services/

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choctaw_Trail_of_Tears

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, shamlet76@gmail.com and request the choctaw resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto