Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Whats Next?

Corey Luna Corey Luna

posted on June 1, 2011

Hi my name is Corey, I have land in Oklahoma “somewhere”!! Haven’t been since I was like 4-5 years of age. Family doesn’t remember how to get there its been at least 10 years for them.Just know its some where between Hugo and Goodland OK. Who would I have to contact to find out where it is. And How can I put a house or something on it? And Does any one know of any work in that area? I just was laid off 4 weeks ago only know Oil Field. Thank YOU!!!

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 1, 2011

you might contact the county land department to see if they have any paperwork.

have you contacted the tribe directly, if you are a tribal member.

how did you get this land? do you have the deed? if it was through probate, do you have a copy of those papers? you would contact the county law clerk and/or the tribal resources, like the tribal court.

zoning requirements would be through the county land department.

as far as work, you might think about getting access to local newspapers through your local public library. craigslist might be a quick and dirty search. also there are other major employment databases like monster.com.

i don’t know what “oil field” means. but if you are laid off and you have oil industry experience, i know the bakken is hopping, up in ND.

gl.

Corey Luna Corey Luna

posted on June 2, 2011

I dont have the papers its was my Great Great Grandfathers land C. Pistokache.He was given a land allotmen. I Don’t know who has the deed (I’ll have to ask the family) I know since I am 4th Generation I am intitled to like 1/27 of it (if that). I am a tribel member but I don’t know who I was to contact. My uncles want someone from the family to move up there and do something with it before there time is up. I know a man has cows on it for years. Thats even if he is still alive. It was between my Grandfather and him.
As for work “Oil Field” is the big rigs that are going up everywhere. And I know OK. is booming right now!! But thanks for the help it gves me a little hope to start somewhere. I have been searching on the net for a couple of days. Trying to find something out but I keep going in circles.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on June 3, 2011

you would need the deed. perhaps you should contact the person who is living on the property.
probate isn’t necessarily straightforward.

try this:
http://www.choctawnation.com/services/departments/propertyreal-estate/
Land and Title Records

Donna Loper, Director
Phone: 800-522-6170 Ext. 2338

This program receives, examines and records documents affecting title to trust/restricted lands of the Five Civilized Tribes within the Choctaw Agency jurisdiction; microfilms title documents filed with Choctaw nation; examines title documents and prepares title status reports o­n trust or restricted tracts within the Choctaw Agency jurisdiction; provides certified copies of title documents; responds to inquiries from congressmen, state, local and federal officials, tribal representatives and members, and the general public o­n title related matters involving lands within the Choctaw Agency jurisdiction; prepares and maintains legal description for land status mapping purposes and generates land status maps of Choctaw trust/restricted lands; makes field visits to county, state, agency and other federal offices to examine, audit and copy records.

gl.