Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

American Indians (not just Choctaws) at Ivy League Schools

Pamela Pamela

posted on March 10, 2011 and updated on March 10, 2011

Not that anyone helped me figure this out before I got over here to the East Coast and had to basically do this, too, the hard way: but the #1 Ivy League school for Native American enrollment and retention is Dartmouth, followed by Yale but they’re nowhere near each other in the percentages. Cornell has “a few” of us and Brown has “a few” of us. Harvard and Princeton have NO American Indian campus groups or societies (well not the professional ones like SACNAS and AISES or AIGC).

I see why most of us who are Ivy-League ready choose to go to lesser-name State schools or Tribal Schools and Colleges out West, though. To go where there are more of our people around us on campus and in our classes and more support from the administration. Somewhere where hopefully the other students won’t treat you like you’re lying about being Native American just because they don’t SEE any others like you from your tribe, around; that because everyone else they’ve ever seen who looks like you is either Puerto Rican or Black, they treat you like you must be one of those instead and are lying about being Choctaw…..who’d want to deal with all those years of that, all through undergrad, then through grad and then through Law or Med schools too …

Dartmouth was founded as a school to educate Native Americans; Yale has a Dean of Native Students; most other good schools just lump us in with either Latinos or Blacks depending on what shade our skin is, just like everywhere else in life.

Don’t get me wrong, the American Indian professional societies have college publications out on the market but their Annual College Issue comes out once a year and you have to be a member to receive it in the mail. Finding it at public libraries is unheard of. Getting hold of “last year’s edition” is also almost unheard o

cindykutcher cindykutcher

posted on April 4, 2012

As applications increase, many Ivy League universities are becoming more selective in the acceptance of students. Some institutions are publishing historic low enrollments. The upshot is that those dreaming about an Ivy League education may find the selection process more strenuous than in the past. Source of article: Ivy League acceptance rates at record lows.