Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

History as they like it?

Patrick Patrick

posted on July 23, 2013

History made the way they like it? Researching an artist borm 1896 in Kansas I am finding many inconsistencies in Kansas Historical Society documentations. The historical story “Children in Kansas – 1890s-1920s” claims: In 1887 Kansas opened the Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home in Atchison for children of Union soldiers and sailors. This was the “first such facility” in the state. Yet, I found documents and photos of the Mennonite Church and Halstead Seminary orphanages clear back to 1860’s full of Native American children working as house servants and farm labor. Kansas was inhabited by Native Americans. In 1803, most of modern Kansas was secured by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase. In 1854, the Kansas Territory was organized, they packed farms orphanages with Indian children, then in 1861 Kansas became the 34th U.S. state. In 1872 government contracts buying and selling Indian children was wide spread and “called” orphan Indian schools. These schools became industrial farms and sold trained Indian house servants and farm labor to neighboring farms. Why is it they write history to appease the public with the “How great thou are” attitude? My mother told me of a Seminary in Northern Minnesota on the shores of a bottomless lake; called bottomless by the number of dead thrown into the lake. Not in their historical records? Yet the building still stands and shackles still on the walls, huge no trespassing signs claiming “bird sanctuary.” Went there; won’t do that again! The Presbyterian Mission set up on southern edge of the Iowa reservation in present-day Doniphan County, Kansas back in November 1837 was one such industrial farm school where all emphasis was placed on the industrial and domestic arts and farming. It was three stories high; the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. “Children for sale” and the historical society writes: In 1887 Kansas opened the Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home in Atchison for children of Union soldiers and sailors and this was the “first such facility” in the state. Will our great grandchildren read that Monica Samille Lewinsky forced United States President Bill Clinton into lewd acts upon the White House Oval Office Resolute desk?