Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation

Enrollment Process for those enrolled

Ice'Shay Wright Ice'Shay Wright

posted on July 18, 2013

Is it normal for birth or death certificates to read white or negro on them if ancestors weren’t living in Indian territory or had been mixed? For example if on the Dawes it stated their blood quantum was 1/4 or 5/16 how would these documents look on the race section? I’m nervous to put lots of $$ into getting birth certs and death certs if ill be denied due to that point. How long did the enrollment process take anyone have to appeal? If anyone can give me insight on their process that’d be lovely. Think I found my great grandfather Frank H Wright Jr 1/4 roll 9092

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on July 18, 2013

if you are directly related to an original enrollee of the tribe, then you are eligible to be a member of the tribe.

however, the freedmen were enrolled in tribes by an act of congress and that didn’t confer any status for their descendants. if the original enrollee had a FD#, then they were enrolled as a freedman.

is this your relative?
Dawes Card Information

tribe last first middle age sex blood card roll misc type
Choctaw Lilienthal Jennie 0 F 3137 P
Choctaw Lilienthal Myer 0 M 3137 P
Choctaw Wright Allen 0 M 3137 P
Choctaw Wright Harriet N 0 F 3137 P
Choctaw Wright Frank H Jr 8 M 1/4 3137 NR FORT SILL BB
Choctaw Wright Gladys 13 F 1/4 3137 NR FORT SILL BB
Choctaw Wright Addie L 36 F IW 3137 NR FORT SILL BB
Choctaw Wright Frank H 39 M 1/2 3137 NR FORT SILL BB
bb=by blood
iw-intermarried white, a general non-tribal description

these people were enrolled under the native blood quantum, are original enrollees, and if you are directly related to them, then you can apply for enrollment. there is no minimum blood quantum for the choctaw tribe of oklahoma.

what matters is that you can show, by documents, that you are directly related to the original enrollee. there might have been others in your family that have membership in the tribe, so you should check with the tribe and see which documents you will need.

the enrollment process takes some months, as your documents are reviewed. if there are original documents to submit, then the tribe will return your documents fairly quickly.

review the faqs under the enrollment department. this department is located under the services tab.

i would think that you should first gather the census documents on your family 1940 down to 1900, to be sure you have identified the right person. your local public library probably has a subscription to or heritage quest and both of those databases have census. once you have confirmed your relation to this family, then call the tribe and find out which documents you need to submit. since you have the census, giving locations, it will be easier to collect documents. you should collect one generation at a time, since the information on the documents may give you a different direction. i usually don’t give direction for enrollment, but you seemed to want a plan.

genealogists use names, dates, locations, children and spouses to match records. if you have a common surname, you need to

give more information rather than less. if you post about women, it is helpful to include the maiden name and the married

name and designate which one is the maiden name.

start with what you know, gather documentation, then you can go backward in time. so get your birth certificate, your

parents’ birth certificates and marriage license and then you can start on your grandparents. if someone passed away after

1/1/1937, they probably have a social security application on file. if you ask a government agency for a birth certificate,

and they were born before 1929, they might have submitted a delayed birth certificate. death certificates, cemetery

information and obituaries are helpful. you can usually get a copy of an obituary, newspaper mentions such as birth of a

child or marriage, through the interlibrary loan program – see your local public library for this. i usually start with the

death and work toward the person’s birth. military records and pension records can be helpful. census records can tell you

where they were at particular times, names of family members. the census records up to 1940 are available, although the

1890 census was largely destroyed.

you will need to know who the family members were 1830-1930 or so, where they were located. a good way to do this is by

census records.
the first time period to concentrate on is 1900-1930 because most tribes enrolled during this period.
federal census records can help you here. you can get access through your local public library – two databases: 1) heritage

quest, 2)

the dawes roll shows the applicants to the five major tribes 1896-1906 in indian territory/oklahoma. if your family applied

for this, there would be a census card, dawes application, other supporting documents and testimony. these are located at

try the fort worth, TX office.

obituaries through the oklahoma choctaw tribe is through the history link for the tribe:

social security application for a deceased person:
form SS-5.

your public library probably has a subscription to heritage quest and is another useful database

for native records and military records, but they are a subscription. however, many times, their month’s subscription price

is less than the price of a dawes packet. you can google fold3 and your ancestor’s name to see if your relative’s dawes

packet is available at fold3.
partial names are allowed.

bear in mind that many records are not online. always collect documents, as just the reference to a relative in an index

informs you that a document is available.

death records:
death certificate: state vital records or if very old, state archives. ask for the person’s name at the time of death. you

can look at death indices, such as the social security death index 1964-present for a date of death on or
obituary: see your local public library, interlibrary loan program. ask for the person’s name at the time of death.

approximate date of death is helpful. if old, state historical society or state archives might have historical newspapers.
cemetery record: try or ask for the person’s name at the time of death. if you find a

relative, you can click on the county or cemetery to see if others with the same surname are buried there.

marriage records:
state vital records office, county clerk or if old, state archives or state historical society.

birth records:
state vital records office, or if old, state archives or state historical society. if the birth was before 1940, ask for a

birth certificate or a delayed birth certificate. many people had to get delayed birth certificates when social security

came into effect because they had to show proof of age. this will be under the name used at the time of birth.

census records:
you will want to search for census records 1940 on down to the birth of your relative. the federal census was taken every

10 years, however the 1890 census was largely destroyed by fire. there are also some state census records and native census

records and native rolls. and heritage quest are two databases that include many census records. many native

census records kept by NARA ( are transcribed at accessgenealogy.
several helpful links for records in the choctaw territory

first of all, heritage and tribal enrollment are two different things. many times natives didn’t apply for enrollment

because 1) they didn’t qualify, 2) they were philosophically opposed to enrollment, 3) they didn’t have documentation, or

4) they were mississippi choctaw and their ancestor had accepted land or benefits in lieu of tribal enrollment.

for those people who do not yet have a card, you should research the 1900-1940 census to know approximate dates of birth,

birthplaces, family members. this will also tell you if someone is more likely to be on the freedman roll or as applicants

to the dawes roll taken 1896-1906 in indian territory/oklahoma for the five major tribes.

applicants can be found here:
partial names are ok. look at the guide link for explanation of the codes.

when you find a possible name, then click on the card# in the card column to see the family group. if it is your family

group, and they were likely enrolled, then you can search the oklahoma historical society’s dawes roll link to get the

enrollment #’s for particular family members.

if your family was enrolled by council action early in the process or was enrolled by lawsuit, they might not appear on the

oklahoma historical society website. you would have to check with the tribe on that.

even if your family was rejected by the dawes process, you may want the testimony, census card, application information for

your genealogical purposes.

the federal census will also help you decide which state to contact for vital records.

the dawes roll was taken 1896-1906, so you should trace your ancestors down to that time period. mostly, they had to be

living in oklahoma by that time and agree to live there permanently.

history of the dawes roll
wikipedia entries are sometimes opinionated; entered by volunteers.

helpful information about tribal enrollment

freedmen information:

2 ways to search:
this will let you enter partial names to get card#. click on the card# in the card column and you can see other names in

that family.
other resources on the left and at the bottom of this webpage. native census records and databases are especially useful.
this will give you card# (family group) and enrollment #. they have some native marriage records too. other oklahoma

records listed at left.
if your relative was enrolled by court action, their name might not be on this list.
if the name is common, you may find too many possible records.
you can order the dawes packet from the oklahoma historical society website.

if you find a relative listed on the dawes roll, fold3 may have filmed the record and could be available online.
other resources are NARA

the five civilized tribes book put out by the department of the interior has testimony.
and you can read it online

and these are the microfilms at fort worth TX archives.

there may be additional records about your relative:
contact NARA for these and other records listed on this webpage.

75.23.1 Records of the Dawes Commission
75.23.2 Records of the U.S. Indian Inspector for Indian Territory
75.23.3 General records of the Commissioner to the Five Civilized Tribes
(Record Group 75)
oklahoma newspaper and archives search. some of these resources may be available through interlibrary loan/public library.
you can try school records in the oklahoma state archives, the oklahoma historical society and NARA.
these two resources might have historical newspapers and local history books. your public library/interlibrary loan

program might also have access to newspapers and local history books.

as for stories, you can see if any of the relatives are mentioned in the oklahoma pioneer papers or oklahoma chronicles.
volumes are alphabetical by surname.
if an interview is not online, contact the host of these interviews.

as for location for your family, you should look on the federal census 1900-1940 for your family and this will give you

locations, family members. your local public library probably has a subscription to and heritage quest.

the tribe has an excellent information to help you. it is found under genealogy advocacy.
some obituaries:

NARA federal records repository. the fort worth, TX office has archives for oklahoma and texas

tribes. atlanta/morrow office has archives for the southeast tribes. many offices have microfilmed records for several

tribes. note that this web address has changed recently from

freedmen info:
You can ONLY apply for Choctaw Nation Membership, AFTER you have obtained a CDIB card proving your Choctaw Blood lineage to

a direct ancestor who actually enrolled, BY BLOOD. Freedmen DID NOT enroll By Blood. When US Congress closed the Final

Dawes Commission Rolls, there were no provisions granting Freedmen any benefits after the Dawes Commission closed. The

tribe Constitution states BY BLOOD. however, the documents (application, census card and testimony) may help you find out

more about your heritage.

about blood quantum laws:
calculations about blood quantum:

mississippi choctaw and choctaw tribe explained here:

jena choctaw tribe in louisiana:

MOWA tribe
MOWA Band Of Choctaws Wilford Taylor 1080 Red Fox Road Mount Vernon, AL 36560 (251) 829-5500. E-Mail:

other choctaw tribes:

chickasaw historical society
Historic Preservation and Repatriation Office
Phone: (580) 272-5325
Fax: (580) 272-5327
2020 E. Arlington, Suite 4, Ada, OK 74820
send mail to: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821

chickasaw tribe
Chickasaw Nation Headquarters
520 East Arlington, Ada, OK 74820
Phone (580) 436-2603
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821

chickasaw genealogy archive center Tribal Library
Phone: (580) 310-6477
Fax: (580) 559-0773
1003 Chamber Loop, Ada, OK 74820
send mail to: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821
oklahoma historical society
marriage records

other historical societies:
some oklahoma genealogical societies:

texas tribes

oklahoma tribes:

some links for the choctaw.
i looked at the land records and those need a lot of work. i have no information about whether or when they will improve

some of these categories.

types of records available for native americans:
pages 366-369 in particular although the entire native american chapter is helpful.
The Genealogist’s Companion and Sourcebook:
Guide to the Resources You Need for Unpuzzling Your Past
Emily Anne Croom
you can ask for these particular pages from your local public library. if they don’t have the book, you can get the pages

through the interlibrary loan program.
native american records are discussed in pages 352-386.

Tracing ancestors among the Five Civilized Tribes: Southeastern Indians …
By Rachal Mills Lennon
this book could be accessed through the interlibary loan program also.

always find the state archives. some records are online, some records are not. but many times you can find a record not

found in other places. you want to see also about newspaper mentions for obituaries, births, marriages in particular.

check courts for probate, civil and criminal cases, marriage records.

if your ancestors lived on a reservation, they might not appear on a federal census because they were not taxed.
1860 census, indian territory.

this book is a good read about the dawes roll and how they implemented it.
The Dawes Commission and the allotment of the Five Civilized Tribes, 1893-1914
By Kent Carter
and you can read this book online. your relatives’ testimony might be in the book.
see the menu at left. you can download it.
you should look at the enrollment application, census card and testimony. this post will tell you how to do that. these

documents will tell you more about your heritage, but it won’t help you if your goal is to be enrolled in the choctaw tribe

of oklahoma. some people were classed as mississippi choctaw if the family had a native heritage but didn’t qualify for

enrollment in the tribe.

there are 63 tribes in oklahoma but only the five major tribes are on the dawes roll. look at your family’s location around

1900-1930 time period (census will help you there) and see if there was a tribe located nearby. it is possible that your

relatives were affiliated with another tribe.

if they were mississippi choctaw, there is probably a land grant in MS/AL to a head of household called choctaw scrip land.

this was given in lieu of tribal enrollment 1830-1880 time period. has a database of the MS and AL choctaw

scrip land records, called mississippi or alabama land records. there are other land records in those databases too,, so

you have to look at the authority/source cited. NARA has those land record packages.

the mississippi choctaw was not removed from oklahoma. but they were largely rejected for tribal enrollment.

this website might help you in your search. some people are trying to transcribe applications.
i do not know what they are trying to transcribe, but this is the volunteer page

and this might be of interest to you:
Rights of Mississippi Choctaws in the Choctaw Nation
Index to the Final Rolls of the Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory
the dawes roll is composed of applications to the five major tribes in oklahoma.

good advice about native research:

if your relatives came from a different geographic location or belonged to a different tribe, try searching google for the

state and tribes. you might find a contact for a state-recognized tribe or a federal recognized tribe.

this page can help you set up a targeted google search.

penny postcards. this is a website that features pictures that were on postcards. click on the state to see the postcards

that they have.
if you have a penny postcard, you can click on submissions to add your penny postcard to the collection.

these searches will combine several possible search terms and give you the best matches.

i have collected many resources over the years. if you want to write to me, and request the choctaw

resource list, i will be glad to send it to you.

i am just a volunteer that wants to empower people to learn how to do genealogy.

suzanne hamlet shatto

rayson allen rayson allen

posted on August 3, 2013

I am an enrolled Choctaw. Suzanne is right that you have to be descended from an original enrollee (from the Dawes Commission enrollment process)to be eligible to get your CDIB card. Quantum of Blood has already been determined for your ancestors by the Dawes Commission, so you have only to prove your relationship to those enrollees by means of official state birth and death certificates. Your family is found on the Dawes Packet # 3137 Choctaw by Blood. Head of House was Frank H Wright, Roll #
9090 1/2 blood His father was a Choctaw man named Allen Wright and his mother was a non citizen named Harriet H. Wright. Frank Wright’s wife was a non citizen named Addie L. Wright who was accepted into the Choctaw Nation as an intermarried citizen with Roll # I.W. 658 Their daughter was Gladys Wright, Roll # 9091 and the son was Frank H. Wright Jr, Roll # 9092. The family owned land around Boggy Depot, Atoka County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory but since Frank Wright Sr was an Indian missionary, his work placed him at Fort Sill (Oklahoma) but his wife and kids still lived on November 18, 1902 in San Jacinto, Texas since 1895 where his last assignment was. Frank and Addie were married on May 14, 1885 in Saratoga Springs, New York, where he got his church training. All this info found on pay website in the Dawes Packet # 3137 Choctaw by Blood. 11 pages found there. The enrollment card is also available there. This should be enough proof of your descent from original enrolled ancestors. Good Luck!

Ice'Shay Wright Ice'Shay Wright

posted on September 26, 2013

Thanks for your reply Rayson, you answered my question completely. I didn’t mean they were freeman, I meant the birth certs I will collect now on my dad’s side will mostly have mixed races on them, I didn’t know if that would be an issue for enrollment.

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on September 27, 2013

read the FAQs about enrollment.

print these documents:
CDIB Application Download PDF File
Tribal Membership Application Download PDF File
and fill them out.

click on the CDIB application first and read it. this is a two step process. CDIB first and then tribal membership.
note that you and your children are the applicants. the original enrollee is frank h. wright jr. roll 9092.

they require an original birth/death certificate but they mail you back the documents promptly.

you can check with them and see which documents you need. for instance, if someone in your line submitted documents, those are probably still on file, so you wouldn’t have to provide them. this would be the option i would choose – to find out which documents you would need.

you can try contacting the tribe, however they are very busy.

the # rayson calls dawes packet #3137 is the card#/family group.
she gives you the enrollment # for the choctaw tribe for each person.
you will need a family tree with name, spouse, date of birth/place of birth, date of death/place of death.
you don’t have to provide date of birth for any of the people who already have a roll# that are listed on the dawes roll.

none of the information from the tribe indicates that there is any difference about descendants of original enrollees.

your ancestor was in the right category, if this is your ancestor named frank h. wright jr. he qualifies you as a descendant of an original enrollee of the tribe.

i am not a member of the tribe or a spokesperson for the tribe. however, the rules are clear on this point.

suzanne hamlet shatto

Amber Riddle Smith Wooten Amber Riddle Smith Wooten

posted on November 17, 2013

Ice Shay it is possible that even the Census
records and birth certificates can have the
wrong race written on it…

For example, I’m Choctaw and African American.

When my mother and I were searching the records
we noticed my grandfather, who was full blooded
Choctaw was listed as “Negro” on his death

In addition, one of my distant
cousins was also full blooded Choctaw who was listed as “Negro” on the census records even though he has a roll number on the Dawes Rolls as a Freedmen! My mom said that often during the time the Dawes records and census records were being compiled they would at times list the race incorrectly.

It really is helpful to have the exact full names and dates and places of death. The place where your relatives died often shows where they were living before they died.

Then all you have to do is call or write the Vital Statistics Records Office (every state has one) and obtain the death certificates. Once you have those, match the names with the names on the Census Records and Dawes Rolls.