Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation

I have to change my birth certificate?

Erin Erin

posted on April 25, 2013

Hello, all! I am in the process of getting my membership and CDIB. This process has been complicated by the fact that I changed my name a few years ago, and they want me to also change my birth certificate. Has anyone had any experience with this or know who I could talk to about it?

Sarah Turner Sarah Turner

posted on April 26, 2013

All they should ask for is proof of your name change. Court documents, records, etc. Did you change your name because of a marriage/divorce or did you change your WHOLE name for personal purposes?

Erin Erin

posted on May 1, 2013

I changed my name to honor my mother, who died when I was young. It turned out to be an honest misunderstanding! They thought that I had not fulfilled all the requirements of the name change by leaving my birth certificate in its original form. All I had to do is show that it is not required to change the birth certificate, so my membership was granted.

Sarah Turner Sarah Turner

posted on May 4, 2013

Great! So glad it worked out for you and that you were able to resolve it! :-)