Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma

The Great Seal of the Choctaw Nation
RSS

Clora Smith b. 1903/04 - POSSIBLE ERROR

Brenda Taft Edwards Brenda Taft Edwards

posted on October 5, 2012

I need some assistance as locating my grandmother’s family has become extremely difficult. I obtained documents from the Choctaw Nation that show her parents as Rice Smith/Sarah Matthews. I found other documents that show Rice’s name as Reece. However, Reece Smith was married to Clara Smith and they had a daughter named Clara Smith, who is not my grandmother. It has become a very confusing project. I do know that my grandmother had a brother and he and she went to an orphanage in Stillwater, Payne, Oklahoma after their mother died. However, I am thinking the Choctaw Nation may have given me the wrong documents. My grandmother’s death certificate and headstone show this information:

Clora Smith
Place of birth: Atoka, OK
Date of birth: 11.09.1903

Now, I am really, really confused ….

suzanne hamlet shatto suzanne hamlet shatto

posted on October 5, 2012

you will have to talk to the enrollment department. i don’t think they read the messageboard.

there is no date or place of death in your post.

Brenda Taft Edwards Brenda Taft Edwards

posted on May 8, 2013

Suzanne … I believe you are the poster in my original message and told me that the Clora/Clorie Smith information I gave you showed she died earlier than the date of death I have on her.

Believe it or not … the family of my grandmother’s brother, Elmer Smith, found me through this message board!!!

This is how it became confusing … Elmer Smith searched for his sister, Clorie/Clara Smith for years. He never found her and had her declared dead. I wish I could find the original post so I could read it because it had other information in it that I could use now.

posted on May 8, 2013

if you know about when you posted on this messageboard before, you can look around that date. the posts are sorted chronologically. do not forget that there are two messageboards.

let the documents tell you the story. i start from the death and work backwards. it is often helpful to collect documents about the children because that fixes the family to a date and location.

gl.

Amber Riddle Smith Wooten Amber Riddle Smith Wooten

posted on November 17, 2013

Brenda,

See if you can get the state where your relative(s) died…then contact the Vital Statistics of that state (every state has one) and obtain the death certificate…

Also find out the state(s) the relatives lived in and get the census records online…Compare the name you have with what’s on the census records, the death certificate, and the
Dawes Rolls…

I have to warn you that my great grandmother’s name is spelled wrong on the online version of the Dawes Rolls, but since we had the roll number on the original Dawes Rolls we knew it was her even though there was a slight error in the name spelling…instead of putting “Georgia Riddle” they put “Georgian Riddle”…

That’s why having the original spellings of names as accurately as possible is very important along with dates and places of births, deaths, and what states relatives lived in. Having the roll numbers of relatives is also a big plus!

Amber

Amber Riddle Smith Wooten Amber Riddle Smith Wooten

Brenda,

I’m sorry! You already mentioned the death
certificate information!

Can you find out more about that orphanage?
There may be historical records about the orphanage that may eventually lead to documents about your relatives that can help you…

Amber

many of the orphanages have documents at NARA. http://www.archives.gov
past that, try the oklahoma historical society and the oklahoma state archives.

http://www.okhistory.org/research/dawes
http://www.odl.state.ok.us/oar/

suzanne hamlet shatto

Brenda Edwards Brenda Edwards

posted on September 4

Not sure when you all will read this post. I obtained the birth certificate and other documeents on my grandmother, Clorie (Clora) Smith from the Choctaw Nation. I obtained my father’s birth and death certificate as well as my grandmother’s death certificate. My grandmother is on the Dawes Roll under Card #269 (NB 267). I have been told that the Choctaw Nation is denying enrollment because my father’s birth certificate shows my grandmother having a middle name of “Odell” and her death certificate does not list her parents. I have been told they do not believe they are the same person.

I know my grandmother was Indian and she use to travel to Oklahoma for medical care. I also know that my grandfather sold her land. However, I do not know what documents to get to prove they are the same person.

I did locate the family of my grandmother’s brother, Elmer Smith, and he is not on the Dawes Roll, but they were accepted. I was able to find a Census Record showing that Sarah Smith (Matthews) and Clora and Elmer Smith were living in Stillwater, Payne, Oklahoma. At some point, Clora and Elmer were left at an orphanage in Stillwater, but I have not been able to find out which one.

Anyone have any suggestions? If so, please respond. I would like to preserve the heritage.

posted on September 4

this is the same question that i addressed on your other post.

it appears that what they are saying is that you need a document that shows that clorie smith that is listed on the dawes roll is the same clorie smith that is your relative. so you cannot use the clorie smith documents in the dawes packet to do this.

you need to get a document from your relative clorie smith to show her parents, her date of birth and place of birth. if your clorie smith is the same clorie smith that is on the dawes roll, then these documents would match.

i recommended that you get a copy of her delayed birth certificate from state vital records. i also recommended that you get a copy of her social security application with a SS-5 form. this social security application would have been filled out by clorie smith.

suzanne hamlet shatto